Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another question on quilting my Wm. Morris quilt

Blog Entries

Another question on quilting my Wm. Morris quilt

Before I wade in with both feet, please give me your opinion on quilting. I did an extra block to experiment on. I did cross hatching in the top left section and stitched around the design on bottom and top in the top left section. Question is, should I stitch around the designs on top or is it even noticeable? Also, do you think I should crosshatch or stipple the background? Thanks for any help as I would like to do it right.Name:  Wm Morris Quilting 001 (640x480).jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  102.4 KB
    Joy

I think I would stipple, but I do like the cross hatch. Whatever you do will be beautiful.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

dd
    It's hard to tell from the pic but I don't think the stitching around it shows up. If stippling is easier you might want to go with that. The crosshatching is a lot of stopping and starting. But if you don't mind that, I think the CH looks better.imho
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I don't really see the quilting around the design in the picture, but it would be beautiful on the back of the quilt!

Blog Entries
    Are you hand quilting or machine? I really like the cross hatch, but if you are machine quilting all that starting and stopping would drive me nuts! If I were machine quilting I'd do a stipple, hand quilting I'd go with the grid.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I do like the cross hatch as it is consistant with the time period of the pattern. As for the outlining , it may not show up now while everything is flat .. but if you did not pre shrink and are going to have the "crinkle" look .. outlining will be much more apparent once the quilt is washed.

Crosshatch would be my choice.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I do like the cross hatch as it is consistant with the time period of the pattern. As for the outlining , it may not show up now while everything is flat .. but if you did not pre shrink and are going to have the "crinkle" look .. outlining will be much more apparent once the quilt is washed.
    Should I quilt in the ditch around each square if crosshatching?
    Joy

That block is so pretty. Very fine.

Blog Entries
    If you are doing this on a regular machine, can you maybe stitch about 1/8" from the edge of pink pieces on the pink? I often quilt 1/8" rather than 1/4" for accent. As for all the starts and stops on the crosshatching, I use lock stitches on them and just jump to the beginning of the next start. After I'm all done, I just sit and watch a movie while I clip the jump stitches on the front and back. I'ts going to be a wonderous quilt, can't wait to see it.
    Happy stitching
    Sally Dolin -The Lazy Quilter
    Gammill Classic+
    Rock Island, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast