Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another question on quilting my Wm. Morris quilt >

Another question on quilting my Wm. Morris quilt

Another question on quilting my Wm. Morris quilt

Old 05-16-2013, 06:29 AM

Crosshatching would be great! But I think you need to outline your applique as well to make it pop up from the background -- IMHO. Then as you come to the applique with the crosshatch stitching you could run it on top of the outline stitches to the next line and not have to keep stopping. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Baloonatic; 05-16-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic View Post
Crosshatching would be great! But I think you need to outline your applique as well -- IMHO. You could run the stitching at the ends of the crosshatching right over the outline stitches to the next line and not have to keep stopping
I did stitch around the applique, but up close. Are you saying to outline farther from the applique? I guess I am kinda dense. Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Well you already know my vote is for cross hatch as that was my recommendation on your original thread. Warms my heart to see you going for it!

If you are planning on showing the quilt the outline stitching will affect the judging. But if this is just for your enjoyment it isn't neccessary but I really think the finished product will look better if you do, especially on the back as Old Rosebud pointed out. Regarding your SITD around each square, aesthetically it won't make much difference however it will be a great stabilizer if you first ditch stich your blocks, then go back and outline the applique, then go back and cross hatch. But you could also get away with outline then crosshatch. Harriett Hargrave's book "Heirloom Machine Quilting" and Diane Gaudinski's book "Guide to Machine quilting" both emphasize the importance of stabilizing stitching in DSM quilting.

another option is to use your applique as a "highway for travelling" in your cross hatch. I'm not sure if you are using your walking foot or not. But I am wondering if you could drop your feed dogs for just the 1" of travel space along the applique edge to go to your next line of crosshatch. I know on LA that is how I do it and no starts and stops. Not sure if it is feasible on domestic. The aforementioned queens of DSM quilting would say ditch the walking foot and FMQ your crosshatch lines. I see you do have them marked so you may want to give that a shot and see how it works out for you.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 AM

I think Paper princess is right. I'd go crazy with all that stopping and starting. However I do like the look that cross hatching gives. Good luck!! Be sure to post when finished!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

i love background crosshatching
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Old_Rosebud View Post
I don't really see the quilting around the design in the picture, but it would be beautiful on the back of the quilt!
My thoughts also, while it won't show a lot on the front it will look lovely on the back. I love the cross hatching
Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 PM

I love the cross hatching and if it were mine I would outline the applique to make it pop. It's going to be gorgeous!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Nice block. Colors are nice also.