Bat Rug

Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Bat Rug

I took this class at one of the local quilt shops - I don't know why this is called a Bat Rug. Lots of batting, lots of tubes, lots of sewing. I decided to make my rug out of flannel vs. cotton fabric and everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, all of it "operator error". My goal was NOT to buy any fabric and I managed to use only my stash, even though I had to change some of the strips to rather dubious prints - lime green and brown skulls and black pirate skulls and crossbones for the binding, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out and realllllllllllllly happy it's done.
Attached Thumbnails rug-001.jpg   rug-002.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM

It turned out very pretty ~ looks like a lot of work!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

That is very pretty. Is it meant to be a rug? That you actually walk on?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 PM

It looks nice, i am interested in how it is done, please tell u about the technique
Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 PM

I would like to know if this is a real rug also, one that you walk on. Also the process you used to make this...very interesting and colorful.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My question too lol. It seems too pretty for me to walk on. And I can't tell you used pirates and skulls. That's the beauty of cutting such small pieces. What a fun project.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Yes, it is meant to be on the floor and walked on. But because it's flannel, I've decided it will be the rug the kids can sit on when they play video games or are playing with legos.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by IngeMK View Post
It looks nice, i am interested in how it is done, please tell u about the technique
The pattern is actually called Bat Rug. It's a great pattern with color pictures and excellent directions.

It's basically just strips of fabric with batting enclosed, sewed together tube fashion, joined, and cut into blocks. It gets pretty thick so you need to use a quilting foot, or a Pfaff machine with an IDT foot or have a machine with one of those special feet that are designed after the Pfaff IDT foot.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I would like to know if this is a real rug also, one that you walk on. Also the process you used to make this...very interesting and colorful.
Yes, this is a real rug that you walk on although I won't be using it for that purpose. The pattern is actually called Bat Rug. It's a great pattern with color pictures and excellent directions.

It's basically just strips of fabric with batting enclosed, sewed together tube fashion, joined, and cut into blocks. It gets pretty thick so you need to use a quilting foot, or a Pfaff machine with an IDT foot or have a machine with one of those special feet that are designed after the Pfaff IDT foot.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
My question too lol. It seems too pretty for me to walk on. And I can't tell you used pirates and skulls. That's the beauty of cutting such small pieces. What a fun project.
Yes, it's meant to be a rug. Although one of the gals in my class made one and she is putting it on a large kitchen counter. The other gals had floor space already picked out for it. I was the only one in class that made one out of flannel and I'll be using mine as a rug for the kids to sit on when they play video games or whatever.