My SIL asked me to make her a quilt tailored to a specific space, color and theme. (Aaaaccckk!)
It needed to be 27 by 36 inches, the theme - a bluebird in a garden, and she gave me a decorative plate to use to pick the colors she loves.
It took some searching for fabrics that had the right colors. The fabric I used for building the hollyhocks is done in a technique called broderie perse applique, where you cut out a motif from one fabric and applique it to another background. I posted a picture of that at the end. It isn't fabric I would have ever wanted to buy otherwise. I also used Inktense pencils to add a little bit of realism, highlights and shadows to the appliqued shapes. Dawn (sewnsewer2) made the beautiful label for the back.