Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Do I add another Blue or Stick which white

  1. #1
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,523
    These blocks were part of a recent blue and white block exchange. I have now made the centre block of a Mariners Compass and when I laid them out on the white bedspread I wondered if it woud be better to stick to white with perhaps a last blue border.

    OR do I edge each block in blue and then sew them together

    I would be grateful for your suggestions.

    Elle

    Blocks laid out on white bedspread.
    Name:  Attachment-43243.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  36.5 KB

    Centre Block
    Name:  Attachment-43246.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  39.5 KB

  2. #2
    Senior Member MoMoSews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    768
    WOW, I don't know the answer but your center block is breathtaking!

  3. #3
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoSews
    WOW, I don't know the answer but your center block is breathtaking!
    Thanks Momo. We did this at our sewing Group here in Spain and i thought it would look good in the middle of these blocks.

    it was a design made on EQ6 that our teacher gave us to do and we PP it.

    turned out better than I thought.

    Elle

  4. #4
    Super Member CajunQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Posts
    3,255
    Maybe a small blue border would set off the center block.,it is absolutely beautiful

  5. #5
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    What else are you planning on doing in the center? I used white sahing between all my outside blocks with some blue around the center blocks. Oh heck, here is the link to my quilt so you can see what I am talking about.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18885.page


    I love your Mariners Compass!! :D

  6. #6
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,225
    Aren't Mariner's compasses fun? I really enjoyed making them for the WIP I have now. Your's came out beautifully. I am working on a quilt right now that has some of that blue you used in some of the points, or at least it looks like it may be the same :-)

    Anyway, you have a lot of options. You can leave it all white which would leave lots of open space for quilting in blue thread. That white space could lend itself to some beautiful feather wreathes or swags or continue on with the star theme and quilt more stars or mariners compass in the area.

    Another option is some more piece work in that area done in blue and white. Some rows of flying geese, pinwheels or a really spiky tall sawtooth border on top and bottom and a not so spiky one on the sides.

    FF

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mrs. Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    619
    When I grow up, I wanna be able to do a mariner's compass.....

    I think I might outline each block with a blue, but whatever you do, I think it will look extraordinary.

  8. #8
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    What else are you planning on doing in the center? I used white sahing between all my outside blocks with some blue around the center blocks. Oh heck, here is the link to my quilt so you can see what I am talking about.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18885.page


    I love your Mariners Compass!! :D
    Thanks for the link Melissa, yours is wonderful, you have given me an idea, just high tailing upstairs to the 3rd floor to see if I can do the Mariners compass on point.

  9. #9
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Aren't Mariner's compasses fun? I really enjoyed making them for the WIP I have now. Your's came out beautifully. I am working on a quilt right now that has some of that blue you used in some of the points, or at least it looks like it may be the same :-)

    Anyway, you have a lot of options. You can leave it all white which would leave lots of open space for quilting in blue thread. That white space could lend itself to some beautiful feather wreathes or swags or continue on with the star theme and quilt more stars or mariners compass in the area.

    Another option is some more piece work in that area done in blue and white. Some rows of flying geese, pinwheels or a really spiky tall sawtooth border on top and bottom and a not so spiky one on the sides.


    Thanks for all those options, I did think of a spikey border, gosh I have so many options now, thanks for all the input.

    Elle

    FF

  10. #10
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,523
    WOW Melissa it looks fab on point, just didnīt think of that. Think I will outline the compass in Blue and then do something in each corner, you know how I love applique. Thanks again.

    Elle

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.