Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone recognize this pattern?

Does anyone recognize this pattern?

A friend's grandmother made this quilt, maybe early 1920s. She was wondering what the pattern is called. Also, note staining down center of quilt. This is most likely from smokers in the house. She's wondering if it would be safe to hand launder with Woolite or should she take it to a dry cleaners. The quilt is cotton, thin, but the fabric seems to be in good shape...no holes or wear spots.

Thanks so much!
    Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think I have ever seen that pattern before. As for the staining there are a couple of Vintage Soaks that they sell in a lot of quilt shops - I haven't tried them but have heard that they work great. If a LQS doesn't have them you might check out Keepsake Quilting or another large online shop

Yes, try Keepsake Quilting, I bought a soak from them and it took out a great deal of yellowing from some muslin fabric.

My MIL called this "snowball" pattern.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

Power Poster
    looks like a arkansaw snowflake
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    It is called Hummingbird. I just finished one and used Darlene Zimmernan's pattern. I got Honorable mention today at the Jacksonville, FL QuiltFest.Name:  Hummingbird.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  14.2 KB

Nice quilt. I googled both the snowball block and Arkansas snow flake and both had examples that looked like this block. Like so many other blocks it probably has multiple names.

Love your quilt, what a treasure. I would not have it dry cleaned, they use chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by colwoods View Post
    It is called Hummingbird. I just finished one and used Darlene Zimmernan's pattern. I got Honorable mention today at the Jacksonville, FL QuiltFest.Name:  Hummingbird.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  14.2 KB
    Congratulations on your "honorable mention", that is a lovely quilt.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love oxi clean. I use it whenever I have to remove stains. I soaked my DGD cotton Christening gown in oxi clean and it came out as white as if it were new without any damage. The Christening gown was even a darker yellow brown than this quilt and was also from cigarette smoke. I soaked the gown for at least 3 days. Good luck and enjoy this lovely quilt. Yolanda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast