Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: “They Went That Way” made into a king size all FMQ on my DSM!

Blog Entries

“They Went That Way” made into a king size all FMQ on my DSM!

A while back Sheryl Till, Quilting Tizzy, offered to her blog followers to help out with a pattern. I turned it into a king size for my bed. I now know why you all love your long arm machines. It took forever to quilt this on my DSM. My quilting is not smooth and my stitches are not regular. However, this quilt was a learning experience and an adventure in FMQ. One thing is for sure, this quilt will wear out before it comes apart. The miles of stitching on this quilt astounds me!

Being new to FMQ and not wanting the quilt top to look like a disaster, most of the thread matches the fabric, thus, it’s not obvious what all the quilting is. So……(quilt police please do not look) I used matching thread on the back most of it can be seen clearly, and yes, it was intentional. I can also see the bird’s nests, skipped stitches, backtracking, wobbling, etc. Regardless, I am so happy I did all this and am even happier that it is done! (I heard letting your quilting show on the back is a no-no.)

The back is a BIG arrow block from the main design. Just enlarged it, then made it bigger.

Just so you know, the quilt pattern ended at the second red border. I added the rest which makes the quilt measure 101 x 103.5.

Because I am not a fan of yellow, and everyone says a little yellow helps a quilt top pop, yellow squares are the center of the directional arrows. I think it looks great. The center focus fabrics are detailed by outlining the birds and bird houses. If you look at the picture with the red border, you can see stars connected by squiggly lines. The green triangles beside it are quilted with vines and leaves. The red diamonds are quilted with poinsettias. You can’t see the detail unless you turn the quilt over. The blue around the diamonds have large holly leaves quilted into them. The inside border of birdhouses is micro-stippled so the birdhouses stand out. The rest of the open spaces are filled with turning designs.

This work would not have happened without the Quilt Board. Lots of inspiration here. Anyone would agree that Charisma’s pictures are great and she shows lots of close up pics with beautiful detail. I’d also like to mention the confidence provided by Patsy Thompson’s FMQ videos, Leah Day’s FMQ tutorials, and LuAnn Kessi’s blog and her constant sharing of sketches. Yes, I bought myself a sketch book and practiced the quilting designs until I got them right. The first quilting I did on this quilt was the loopy loops around the focus blocks. It looks the worst. But, I think I got better and better.

I took a picture of the snowmen fabric on the back. This fabric belongs to my late mother. My brother gave me the fabric she had left, which wasn't much. I am happy to had included it into this quilt.

http://quiltingtizzy.wordpress.com/
    http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-video/
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm
    http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/

If I didn’t have people walking around my house, I would use this quilt as a centerpiece rug for my family room. My quilt inspector agrees! No wonder pets love to cuddle on our quilts. We’ve touched every centimeter of them!

If you took the time to read this mini essay, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    More pics including my Mom's snowman fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First I gotta say I haven't read a post with so much happiness and energy about a finished project in a long time. It makes my heart fly hearing how truly happy you are with your quilt. I think it is stunning and a great work. You did a wonderful job, but hearing how much your going to love it makes it even better. Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

You have every right to be proud of your quilt and your quilting! You did an awesome job! I don't know you, but I am so proud of you!!!
    Brenda

From one Pennsylvanian to another you did a great job. Love it.

This is a truly beautiful quilt!!! Your FMQ is exquisit!!!

Blog Entries
    Awesome job to be done on a DSM. And I think your quilt inspector approves!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Power Poster
    ​Wow, it does look great on the floor! Wonderful quilt and reversible too!

beautiful quilt and quilting

That is just wonderful!! Im still too afraid to tackle fmq. The first, and last, time I tried it, I ended up doing something to my machine. Being that I dont know HOW I did it, Im too afraid to repeat the attempt. You did a beautiful job!!
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Blog Entries
    very nicely done!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Beautiful!

OMG! This is beautiful. Love the pattern and what you added to it. I have a teeny tiny featherweight and will NOT be attempting such an enormous project - but your work is so inspiring! I can not imagine how long it took - but the results are fabulous. Hip hip hooray for you!

Loved your post and your quilt...awesome work!!!!!!

My, my, my oh my!! You did an amazing job. I really love it.

Blog Entries
    You and your quilt are inspiring It is one of the prettiest quilts I have seen recently

Beautiful!!!!!! Your quilting looks really good! Thanks for sharing with us.

delma

Blog Entries
    Your treasure is beautiful. And, your sweet puppy adores it also. Thank you for sharing. And, I didn't notice ANY of the things you mentioned. It's beautiful!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Yes it is a wonderful quilt and best yet, you are able to appreciate that you did it and did it wo well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy4857 View Post
    First I gotta say I haven't read a post with so much happiness and energy about a finished project in a long time. It makes my heart fly hearing how truly happy you are with your quilt. I think it is stunning and a great work. You did a wonderful job, but hearing how much your going to love it makes it even better. Thanks for sharing.
    DEB CAVAN

beautiful quilt. And cute dog too.
    Be a girl with a mind, a women with attitude and a lady with class.

The idea of a quilt that large on my DSM and all the little circles and changes of directions, makes me want to take to my bed. I think you did a wonderful job. I have one that needs to be quilted and so far I haven't accomplished much. I am trying to get up the nerve to do it myself. Maybe your work will inspire me to try it. It is pretty and I share your pride in your work.

Blog Entries
    quilt police checking out the quilt

Blog Entries
    ​Your quilt is very beautiful! You did a fantastic job. Love your colors too so cheerful. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a Blessed & Prosperous Day !
    Chris.

Your quilt is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe you fmq all the designs on you sewing machine!!! Great job!

Blog Entries
    You all are so sweet! Thanks for you nice complements and encouragements! My best friend for the past few months has been my sketch book. Building the muscle memory made all the FMQ sooooooo much easier. I cannot express how much it helped to draw out the designs in my book. The great thing is that the quilting looks much better than my drawings!

I found great joy is deciding what to quilt in each area. Watching Leah Day sew her designs gave me a visual picture of how things work. She describes how to do all her designs. LuAnn Kessi sketches all the time and generously posts them on her blog. Her sketches have sketches ("how to" sketches). LuAnn quilts on a Sweet 16. Her work is beautiful! Patsy Thompson has four beginner videos to help FMQ "want-a-bees" like me get started and move forward with the FMQ. The best thing to do is get started!

Karen from Quilt Expressions has this really great video on "What to Quilt on Your Quilt". Another QB member posted this on the board and I've watched it 3 times. I find her advice very practical and doable. She's really funny. Karen tells everyone to doodle. And doodle. And doodle. It really works! I ignored her advice to have a nice busy backing fabric so you don't see all the mistakes. I really wanted to see the quilting on the back since it's hard to see on the front. Hee hee. Someday I'll want a back to hide all my mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNxOb-oQfM

Finally, I really like see what YOU all do. I am always amazed by the beautiful projects done by everyone here on the board. The joy of quilting is very gratifying. Besides, it gets me out of a lot of housework. I am a firm believer that the dust and dirt will wait around until I'm ready to deal with them!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast