Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Estate sale finds >

Estate sale finds

Estate sale finds

Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 PM

I went to an estate sale today and had to buy the whole bag of fabric, they wouldn't sell them by piece...so I've got a lot of poly cottons that I won't use in quilts but there were a few pieces in the bag that I'm rather excited about.

The first piece is what I think is a 5 yard piece of silk. It was packaged separately in a plastic baggie. I'm not a silk expert, so maybe someone could tell me. At first I thought it was hideous, but I have to say it's grown on me!

The next 3 photos are of a 4 yard piece of Asian, cotton fabric. I think it's very cool. All of the fabrics are probably 70's and 80's fabrics. I'm loving the Japanese one.

Here's the back side to show the weave of the fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105965[/ATTACH]

Here it is...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105966[/ATTACH]

And a home dec sampler book full of fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105970[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105960.jpe   attachment-105961.jpe   attachment-105962.jpe   attachment-105963.jpe   attachment-105964.jpe  

attachment-105965.jpe  
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM

That is a very neat piece. If it is silk, what do you plan to do with it? I have seen some beautiful quilts made with silk! :D
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
That is a very neat piece. If it is silk, what do you plan to do with it? I have seen some beautiful quilts made with silk! :D
I have no idea! I've never sewn with silk before so I'd need tips for sure. I also picked up some fine, wool yardage at this estate sale. I'm going to have to read up on how to use it as well. I have some felted wool pieces I'd like to use.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 PM

OOOOOHHHHH! I could see a wholecloth quilt top out of that...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
OOOOOHHHHH! I could see a wholecloth quilt top out of that...
How would you do it up? Also, what type batting with silk and would it be washable? Any silk I have is washable. LOL. I'm not a dry cleaner type gal!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Silk ravels like crazy, so you'll need to do something with the edges WHEN you start cutting out your quilt pieces - either use a 3 thread overlock stitch on a serger or pinking shears. Sometimes, pinking shears are NOT enough with silk. You'll have to experiment. If it's light weight, stabilize with a very light weight fusible. Personally, I think fusible is easiest, because silk ravels when you just LOOK at it!

If it's not already raveling like crazy, it's probably NOT silk. LOL But it DOES look like it's raveling in the picture.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Silk ravels like crazy, so you'll need to do something with the edges WHEN you start cutting out your quilt pieces - either use a 3 thread overlock stitch on a serger or pinking shears. Sometimes, pinking shears are NOT enough with silk. You'll have to experiment. If it's light weight, stabilize with a very light weight fusible. Personally, I think fusible is easiest, because silk ravels when you just LOOK at it!

If it's not already raveling like crazy, it's probably NOT silk. LOL But it DOES look like it's raveling in the picture.
It's raveling!! Thanks for the tips. It might be a cool stack and whack... I'd consider it mid-weight. Now do you mean interfacing rather than fusible?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Yes - I mean the very lightest weigh fusible interfacing. Experiment with a small corner first to be sure it's going to have the right 'hand' for your quilt. If you've ever made a watercolor quilt with the gridded fusible, you know what I mean. The gridded fusible is a little stiff. Actually - that probably doesn't matter with the silk, because i suspect you won't be making a bed quilt with it! LOL So a little stiffness won't hurt!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Love, love, love your book of samples. Would you consider
selling?
I have made several quilts from this type fabric, just leaving
squares as they are, but adding a solid black sashing, coordinated
"cornerstones", black border, then machine quilting with
black thread. They are gorgeous!
Will make you one if you wish ....
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Love, love, love your book of samples. Would you consider
selling?
I have made several quilts from this type fabric, just leaving
squares as they are, but adding a solid black sashing, coordinated
"cornerstones", black border, then machine quilting with
black thread. They are gorgeous!
Will make you one if you wish ....
Shoot, I've disassembled the book for washing tonight. And it was super heavy...at least 30 of the squares so it would have cost a fortune to ship, anyway... Do you have a picture of one of yours? I'd love to see it. I also had to cut off the bottom each on every sample as there was the info. paper slip glued to it. I will wash them tomorrow. I was thinking maybe some kind of strip quilt??