Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric choice help, please

Help!

I want to make a lap quilt for my husband's grandmother. His family is Ukranian, so I had the idea of using a pattern that is in keeping with the traditional designs on pysanky (Ukrainian painted Easter eggs) - see first picture.

I decided on the "All Hallows" block variation from The Quilter's Cache - if you look at page 3 of the pattern, there is a mock up of what the quilt would look like.

These are the two fabrics I have so far - see second picture - the burgundy print would be one of the two fabrics for the central star & border, and the yellow print would be the larger, lighter coloured areas.

I need a second fabric for the central star & border. Since the two fabrics I have so far are both quite 'busy,' I'm thinking I need a subtle tone-on-tone blender - but what colour?

Burgundy? A dark chocolate brown? The pysanky traditionally use black, but I don't want to use black for the lap quilt. Would red be too bright? Should I go with a solid rather than a tone-on-tone?

Thanks very much for your input!
    Jan

Ukrainian painted Easter eggs
    Name:  Attachment-24085.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  53.1 KB

The two fabrics I have so far
    Name:  Attachment-27537.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  80.0 KB

I think any color that would compliment what you already have would work, but I, myself, wouldn't go with black. Maybe take your picture and your fabric to the fabric store and shop around. With the fabric WITH you, you can judge what color would look good. Also, if you are going to your LQS, I'm sure someone there would help you decide.

A dark chocolatey brown might work, but I agree, black probably wouldn't be so good. I really like the burgandy fabric!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Those eggs are beautiful! What a great idea to use them as inspiration for a quilt. I agree with black but I think maybe a solid, really dark burgundy. Let us see what you make PLEASE!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    PS just been for a look at the pattern - it's perfect! It'll really have the feel of those eggs!

Just to let you know, I agree black might be too much but I was in a quilting class at my LQS and she has a material called, I think, blackest brown. It is brown but it is really fairly dark. That might be one way to go maybe just for accents.
    Kendra

Power Poster
    How about a green?.

Banned
    ooooooooooooo boy. tough one. i like the idea of the burgandy , and i like the ch. brown. ok not much help here. i'm sorry. but the fabs you got are fantastic

What about a green? You could start with the shade of green that's in your fabric and go from there.

I don't think black would work well with the fabrics - a dark burgundy? or a brown. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast