Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: a few quilts for "Littlest Warrior"

Blog Entries
    They are all wonderful! I especially like the blue one!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkokr View Post
    Just beautiful, great job and thank you for sharing, old Navy gal here married to an old Navy guy. God Bless you.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

And God Bless you and your old Navy guy for serving our country.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, bright baby quilts! I love the patterns you chose. Each one will be loved.
    Helen T.

There's a special place in heaven for you.

All are bright and beautiful! Bless you for doing these for the "Littlest Warriors" !!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I was told to aim for 24" X 36". So mine fall within that size--give or take 2" in each direction. I have had to adjust some patterns to get the desired size with the border (like Bonnie Hunter's "weed whacker"--mine is very different from what you see on her website--but it started with her pattern). I typically only use a 2" border. The only reason I even use a border is because it makes it easier to birth them without all those seams on the edges. Other than the size preferences, the only stipulation I've been give is for a "calm" backing fabric. And this is VERY IMPORTANT. That's why I chose a neutral flannel for the backing. The front can be anything you want so long as the back is calming. That way they can flip the quilt so the baby sees the front side when they want to stimulate the baby and flip it back to the calm side when the baby needs rest.

They're wonderful.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by key4unc View Post
    I was told to aim for 24" X 36". So mine fall within that size--give or take 2" in each direction. I have had to adjust some patterns to get the desired size with the border (like Bonnie Hunter's "weed whacker"--mine is very different from what you see on her website--but it started with her pattern). I typically only use a 2" border. The only reason I even use a border is because it makes it easier to birth them without all those seams on the edges. Other than the size preferences, the only stipulation I've been give is for a "calm" backing fabric. And this is VERY IMPORTANT. That's why I chose a neutral flannel for the backing. The front can be anything you want so long as the back is calming. That way they can flip the quilt so the baby sees the front side when they want to stimulate the baby and flip it back to the calm side when the baby needs rest.
    Thanks for all the info! Good thought re the colourful side for stimulation and the calm side for rest!

I was interested to read there were no instructions re seams ... in another site, I read that there were to be minimal seams and definitely in the middle section, as it was irritating to the preemie. I'm sure every hospital has different thoughts.

I'm particularly interested right now as my "adopted" nice just had a preemie, and I've been uncertain as what and how to make for the baby!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilts!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Those look great!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast