Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Follow up story >

Follow up story

Follow up story

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM

So many people have commented and written to me about my butterfly quilt I felt I had to tell you where I first saw this technique for doing a stained glass quilt. I carried this in my mind for over 13 years before I finally did one this way.

I travelled two or three times a year between my home in NC to where I was raised and my family was in Indiana. I did this for 11 years. During that time I watched as they built Tamarak, the West Virginia showplace for all things made in WV. I could hardly wait for it to open. The building itself was so interesting.

When it did open I made a trip so I could see it right away. When I walked in the first thing that caught my eye was this very large stained glass window. Since so much beautiful glasswork is done in WV until I walked up to it I thought it was stained glass. It was not. It was a quilt that was backed with white. It filled this large window and the sun was shining through it. It took my breath away. As I said it stuck in my mind for years.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I know what you mean McQuilter. I sometimes mull things over in my mind a long time before it comes into fruition.

It sure paid off with your butterfly quilt. What a beauty!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM

I got to go to WVA back in October for my first time. Our church meeting was at the Tammarack. I have to walk with a cane but for those 2 days my better half had a hard time keeping up with me. The quilts, cross stitching and the handmade wooden art pieces were amazing and expensive. One thing for sure, whatever you bought there you could go home knowing it was a one of a kind and it could never be repeated. We just got word that the fall meeting will again be at the Tammarack. I can't hardly wait.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM

McQuilter
Your quilt is stunning and your story makes it even more memorable. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM

We are very happy that you shared your butterfly with us.