Thread: Follow up story
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Maggiesmom

So many people have commented and written to me about my butterfly quilt I felt I had to tell you where I first saw this technique for doing a stained glass quilt. I carried this in my mind for over 13 years before I finally did one this way.

I travelled two or three times a year between my home in NC to where I was raised and my family was in Indiana. I did this for 11 years. During that time I watched as they built Tamarak, the West Virginia showplace for all things made in WV. I could hardly wait for it to open. The building itself was so interesting.

When it did open I made a trip so I could see it right away. When I walked in the first thing that caught my eye was this very large stained glass window. Since so much beautiful glasswork is done in WV until I walked up to it I thought it was stained glass. It was not. It was a quilt that was backed with white. It filled this large window and the sun was shining through it. It took my breath away. As I said it stuck in my mind for years.