I've had my new machine for 2 weeks now and we're humming along great - for the most part. This is the largest quilt I've ever done - for my grandson's new big boy bed. It's 75 X 88 - a bit smaller than usual for a double, but its a bunk bed with twin on top and full on bottom. I didn't want the sides to hang down too far. (I posted a thread about this quilt when I first put the cornerstones on. If it looks familiar - that's why!)
I put the label in one of the blocks. His pillow can cover it if he's too cool to have love and Grammy after a few years - he's 5. But it's right where he can see it every night, too. I like putting the label in a block and have started doing that whe it's appropriate.
The good news: This size did not begin to challenge my new machine and 60" wide was a pain in my old one with its 4.5" throat. New one has 9".
Bad news: playing with tension drives me crazy - old or new machine - but I think for the most part I got it to do what it should with only some bird's nest ripping.
There's flannel on the back so it's a heavy quilt. I zigzagged around each yellow sashing and each framing strip then FMQ's in the center of the blocks. There's an "M" quilting somewhere in each block for "Micah". That should give him some fun. Each block is quilted differently. There's a fish and waves in the fish ones, monkeys in the monkey ones, spirals in some, really gave me a chance to play. I made 2 flannel and 2 cotton pillowcases. Love making those! Even after probably 50 of them still amazes me that they turn out. Had to piece the cuff cause I used every scrap.
The fabric all came from Joann's except the blue in the border which is from the quilt shop.