Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help Please! >

Help Please!

Help Please!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM

OK...so a lady here on the board asked for blocks for her sister and I want to send one. I have only done the one log cabin but wanted to do something really pretty for her. I was trying to do one of the blocks from my class that I'm in now called a "Four-patch on Point". I LOVE the fabric from my Log Cabin quilt so I used that. Will you PLEASE look at this block and tell me if it is correct? It doesn't look like the ones I see when I do a search. On those the points go to the edge of the block?? I just don't want to send something that looks bad you know? Be totally honest!
Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107344.jpe  
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM

NOt sure what size your block should be, but have you squared it yet? If you square aand just leave the 1/4 seam allowance, your points will be right. Very pretty by the way!

I think you did a wonderful job, once the sister starts arranging and putting together with other blocks I think it will be fine, beautiful fabric, but hey don't take my advice I am still learning as well...

I think it looks great except that you need to square it up. make sure that you leave one quarter of an inch on each side outside the points so that when she sews up the seams she won't take off any of the point itself...or, as long as you have at least one quarter of an inch on each side outside the point, send it and let her square it up. Beautiful colors and fabrics.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Have you squared the block up yet?
I Love the fabrics, you put them together nicely. Very pretty..
:XD:
Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
NOt sure what size your block should be, but have you squared it yet? If you square aand just leave the 1/4 seam allowance, your points will be right. Very pretty by the way!
Yeah...You can't tell but I did square it all up. I didn't even think about the fact that once it's sewn in the quilt, it will bring out the point. I guess I will send it and then if she wants to use it she can but doesn't have to.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
........ send it and let her square it up. Beautiful colors and fabrics.
I think that's what I'll do...she can probably square it better than me and can make it what ever size she wants. thanks SO much ya'll!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

When creating any block with points extending to the edge, the point should be 1/4" in from the unfinished edge of the block. That way, when it is sewn into the quilt, the points won't get cut off and rest perfectly at the edge of the connecting block, sash, or border. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but your points may be more than 1/4" from the outside edge of the unfinished block. If it is, it just means you need to double check your scant 1/4" seam allowance. In this case, your seam allowance may be slightly larger than a scant 1/4". Otherwise, the block looks very nice and I like the fabric combination you've chosen.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM

You made it with your heart. That matters more than a perfect block. I love it and the fabric is awesome. I think after it is squared up it will be perfect. :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM

I think you did a great job. Very pretty colors, and like others have said, just square it up and send it off.