Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I use these coasters?

A friend won these in a raffle and gave them to me. I'm wondering if it is possible to use them in some kind of quilt project without cutting them apart. They aren't quilted - just machine embroidered on the front - the back is plain (see the yellow one) but there is a thin piece of "something" in between.

Backs are all plain like the yellow one
    Name:  Attachment-231525.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  63.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

stablizer is in the middle, would make a cute baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    Sew them on a play mat, use them for pockets :D:D:D

What about quilt as you go using sashing around the blocks.

mltquilt

Are they about 5" square or so? Wonder if you could stitch them on a piece of muslin (like an applique) and then join the muslin pieces together? maybe use printed fabrics every other one?
    good Luck!

I can't tell for sure how big they are but you could make a small bag from them. A potholder/hotpad would also work if you sewed 4 and 4 together and put something in the middle. A purse for a little girl......

They are just shy of 4.5 inches square. Just not sure how to deal with the thickness of them - but someone said that is stabilizer - for the embroidery, I guess?

Seeing that you have said they aren't quilted ......... what about cutting off the edge and making them back into blocks.

That way you'd have the front embroidered design and you'd get rid of the bulk in the centre. Plus the backing fabric (which I'm guessing is the same as the front?) would give you blocks to use in your project.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Seeing that you have said they aren't quilted ......... what about cutting off the edge and making them back into blocks.

That way you'd have the front embroidered design and you'd get rid of the bulk in the centre. Plus the backing fabric (which I'm guessing is the same as the front?) would give you blocks to use in your project.
    I have considered that and quite likely will do so. I just wondered if there were alternatives. Cutting them is going to make them pretty small by the time they are finished - but they should still be kind of cute.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't cut them, I'd unsew them. This will give you whatever seam allowance was used in the first place. As far as getting rid of the 'something' in the center, it's probably the stableizer used for the embroidery. you can clip it close to the embroidery, but can't really remove all of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast