Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to quilt this? Not ready for free-motion

I've been practicing FMQ this weekend and getting more of a feel for it, but I'm just not comfortable with it yet--and still making too many errors.

I need to get this table runner quilted for Christmas, so time is running out! I had hoped to try meandering, but that's out for now.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this! The simpler, the better for this beginner.

This is the whole thing
    Name:  Attachment-145258.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  88.5 KB

Close-up of the pieced border
    Name:  Attachment-145259.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  56.5 KB

Do you have many decorative stitches on your machine? If you're not up to meandering what about something simple like this? Straight stitching on the outside and on the inside a few lines of decorative stitching. Or vice versa.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

I would stitch in the ditch around the borders & than maybe shadow outline around the flowers in the center floral print.

I agree with donnajean's suggestion.

Have you thought about a simple cross-hatch in the middle section.... in the ditch around the half octagons.. maybe a simple curly -que around the red border? With the new fabric pens could easily trace your center and outer edge patterns on. Quilting a piece can be the toughest choice. Might try tracing a few on some clear vinyl..setting it over your piece to see how it looks. Cant wait to see the finish! Its very pretty

I was thinking of stitch in the ditch around the red border and the outer one too. A cross stitch for the middle would be fine...or just some straight lines running the length.
    Very nice work!

Banned
    i would straight stitch around the border areas. would give some definitation to those areas.
    and cross hatching in the center

Blog Entries
    in the lovely center you could do a large zig zag design. going from one corner, down two of the side pieced quilt blocks,then over again for two more and down again two more, then go up again every other two if you like. something simple but enough to hold it all down.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No ideas here but love it!! :D

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!

I had thought of straight lines in the center section. But now the thought of the straight stitching in the red border sounds interesting. I'm not sure I can pull off the shadow outline, though I think that sounds lovely!

nativetexan, I can't picture the zigzagging...I may be too tired! After dinner, I'm going to try to sketch out what you described.

No decorative stitches (just zigzag type stuff)

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast