Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need your input please on twin size quilt

I need your input please on twin size quilt

I need some help on my twin size quilt. The printed fabric is 42 inches wide and i want to make a border with gold, red and blue. Would that look alright when I make the border strips each 6 inches wide? Please help.Name:  this is the fabric.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  149.5 KBName:  the border length wise.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  149.8 KBName:  the border.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  139.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just my opinion, but the three colors seem to over power the quilt. You might see what it would look like with just two of the colors??

jme
    I think you should make two thin borders and 1 wide. You want to see that cute fabric better.
    JME

Fabric makes me happy!

I think a 6" border of each color would overwhelm your prints. They are too cute to overpower. Possibly a first border of each color in 2" strips, then a 6" piano key border using the three colors and finish with a second border of each color in 2" strips. That way you would still have the width you needed but the borders wouldn't be as bold. BTW, I really love the fireman fabrics you've chosen and the border colors really work well with the firemen. Thanks for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

I agree with lollygagging about having a narrow first border , the piano keys, ant then an outer boarder but I would throw in some other, less strong colors. If you have some of the focal fabric, it would be good to include that in the piano keys -- I would also use whatever is the background of the focal fabric(white or beige). I do a lot of piano keys and I find that when you use such strong fabrics, it helps to use a print that is in the quilt as well.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Power Poster
    Yup, I think piano keys would really look nice on this quilt! Please show us again when you finish it!

These colors look garish. I recommend you match the colors in the border of your fabric very exactly.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    I agree, smaller strips, even better if they're not all the same width, makes it too rigid-looking, maybe 2, 3 and 2 " inside, piano keys, then 3,2 and 3" outside - still symmetrical but not stodgy. And the piano keys would be great, esp. if you have more of the top fabric to use with the solids, maybe some black, white and a lighter blue from the top, do you have any black/white dalmatian dots to add - that would be great binding too, what is backing?
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 02-03-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I think the border over whelm the quilt. I would do maybe a 1 1/2 in, then maybe a 3 in, and then a 6 in.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    I would think 1 3 and 5. Just my opinion Barny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast