Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I take back everything I ever wrote about a brown quilt... >

I take back everything I ever wrote about a brown quilt...

I take back everything I ever wrote about a brown quilt...

Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Default I take back everything I ever wrote about a brown quilt...

We are planning a trip to Turkey to visit some famous places and we will spend a night with some friends of my husband's while in Istanbul.

I had a sudden moment of irrationality and asked my DH to ask them if they wanted a quilt (we are leaving in just over a week). (I didn't want to give someone a quilt that preferred a "Bed in a bag".) I figured I could pick up one of the ones I've finished recently to give away.

"Yes," they said, interest evident in the quickness of the reply via Skype.

"What size do you need?" asked my DH to his friends. "King sized--we have two beds shoved together" (as is common here to do as a regular queen or king sized beds are harder to come by).

"Oh", I said, heart sinking, knowing that I have no king sized quilts ready to give away. But I just offered, I couldn't do "backsies".

"What colors do you like (addressed to the wife)?" "Cappucino brown and dark red", she replied.

"Hmm, I thought"--not my first love in colors--we'll see what I've got. So, I got out my box of browns/reds, and searched. I realized quickly this is the same color scheme as my daughter asked for her wedding quilt (top done--not posted on QB yet) in a TAthe World pattern.

I had my DH take some pictures and posted the colors for approval via Skype. "Nope", that won't work, to one of my favorites.

It became too tiring to work through my DH, so I went to my computer, got DH to install Skype on it, and began to talk directly to the wife. I realized quickly that she thought I could make a quilt of all one or two colors--which I can't. I don't have access to yards/meters of beautiful fabric, so it has to be made of many different fabrics--using what I have in my stash. I had seen some granny square themed quilts and liked them, so I sent her one. She loved it. I raided all my dark reds/browns/light brown.

I've spent the week frantically piecing. I have to quilt it this coming week along with a myriad of other things. It's 108" square. I made the pattern "Clover" http://www.missrosiesquiltco.com/Schnibbles.html only I used 2.5" squares and made the small ones out of 1.5" strips and made it king sized instead of lap quilt sized.

This picture doesn't do it justice--it was taken in the basement with fluorescent lighting. In person it is outstandingly beautiful--something I never thought I'd say about a "brown quilt".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451780[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails granny-squares-chain.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 12-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:21 AM

OMG! I love it. I'm impressed you could piece it so quickly. I love brown quilts. Good job!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
OMG! I love it. I'm impressed you could piece it so quickly. I love brown quilts. Good job!
It hasn't been quick--I've been doing little else besides sew this week. Maybe 8 hours a day...maybe more.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I'm not a brown fan either....but, this quilt is BEAUTIFUL! If it is not to your friend's liking I'll be happy to take if off your hands.....Fast and Beautiful!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:24 AM

WOW...you did that in a week??? Absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:25 AM

You are an amazing person and quilter! Love the quilt and I know the recipient will too. I bow to you.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 AM

absolutely gorgeous!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I am not much of a brown person either, but this is very pretty! Great job!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Wowzer! That's gorgeous! Obviously you excel under pressure.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Really like your quilt. Love the pattern. I know your friends will be very glad to have it.