Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: I'm stuck! Border suggestions...PLEASE!

  1. #11
    Junior Member hatchet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    183
    Since it's a picture of a picture, I'd frame it in brown like a frame and if it's a wall hanging, it seems natural. You don't want to take away from the picture in the middle, only compliment it.

  2. #12
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,260
    Very cute wall hanging, but I have no idea what to put around it. I like the idea of the prairie points and the idea of the fence look to make it look like a wood frame around it. Good luck. :) Can't wait to see it finished.

  3. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19,274
    How about using the binding that you sew on the back and flip to the front with faux piping? (tute on board) I would do my 1-3/8 binding dark blue and the 1-5/8 piping in white. Would piping count as 6th row?

  4. #14
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    874
    White prairie points!

  5. #15
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What a lovely quilt!!! Was the centrepiece a quilt challenge too?

    You've tied the focal part well with all your borders and trimmings for sure!

    If it's Quilter's Choice, and you don't really want it any larger ..... I'd say that the Quilter's Choice is no further borders! It looks absolutely perfect now ... and sometimes if you go that next step, you ruin it!

    Now I'm confused .... you had the original post back in January ... so did the Guild not proceed with it til now?
    This is called: "Dawn got to busy to work on this, so she procrastinated and has to have it done for the show in July." We were given the assignment for the 6th border at the end of January.
    We could anything as the centerpiece, a panel, a block, whatever we wanted. I had made this a couple years ago, and I was using it as a teaching tool for my class. The round robin came up and it just seemed like a good choice to use it.

  6. #16
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,780
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What a lovely quilt!!! Was the centrepiece a quilt challenge too?

    You've tied the focal part well with all your borders and trimmings for sure!

    If it's Quilter's Choice, and you don't really want it any larger ..... I'd say that the Quilter's Choice is no further borders! It looks absolutely perfect now ... and sometimes if you go that next step, you ruin it!

    Now I'm confused .... you had the original post back in January ... so did the Guild not proceed with it til now?
    This is called: "Dawn got to busy to work on this, so she procrastinated and has to have it done for the show in July." We were given the assignment for the 6th border at the end of January.
    We could anything as the centerpiece, a panel, a block, whatever we wanted. I had made this a couple years ago, and I was using it as a teaching tool for my class. The round robin came up and it just seemed like a good choice to use it.
    It was a perfect choice ... and you've done a great job.

  7. #17
    Junior Member Debd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boyds, MD
    Posts
    247
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like this idea, perhaps using a darker on two sides to make it a shadow box. You might get an optical illusion with your yoyos that way!

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchet
    Since it's a picture of a picture, I'd frame it in brown like a frame and if it's a wall hanging, it seems natural. You don't want to take away from the picture in the middle, only compliment it.

  8. #18
    Super Member KarenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,749
    Blog Entries
    8
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!

  9. #19
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!
    What do you mean by flange?

  10. #20
    Super Member KarenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,749
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!
    What do you mean by flange?
    A flap (folded insert) of fabric between the quilt and the binding. For the one in the picture, I cut a 1" wide strip of fabric, folded it in half and ironed. After squaring up the quilt, the raw edges of the flap were matched to the raw edges of the quilt, pinned and machine basted a scant 1/4" from the raw edges. The sides were done first, then the top and bottom. Then the binding was applied. In the photo, the flap measures 1/4" and the binding 5/16".

    Every time I've done this, I've made a small mock-up to check the measurements of the flap and binding. Sometimes the results didn't match the pictures in my head and adjustments had to be made. :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.