Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: I'm stuck! Border suggestions...PLEASE!

  1. #1
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    842
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ok, I posted this thread a while back...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92017-1.htm

    The guild says that the 6th border is "Quilter's Choice."

    Now, I need some suggestions, please. What should my 6th border be? I don't want it to be large because it's approaching "huge" for a wallhanging as it is.

    Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    What about a "snowball" pattern border? Or just a lighter blue with some appliqued snowflakes???

  3. #3
    Senior Member DMotyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    482
    Blog Entries
    1
    What about using the left over pieces to make prairie points all around? It wouldn't add much to the dimensions of your quilt and I don't think it would detract from the great art work you have already created. It really looks complete as is :-) I love it!!

  4. #4
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    you could do paper cut snowflakes like we did when we were children.

  5. #5
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,607
    I really like the prairie points idea. Quilt looks great.

  6. #6
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,172
    What a lovely quilt!!! Was the centrepiece a quilt challenge too?

    You've tied the focal part well with all your borders and trimmings for sure!

    If it's Quilter's Choice, and you don't really want it any larger ..... I'd say that the Quilter's Choice is no further borders! It looks absolutely perfect now ... and sometimes if you go that next step, you ruin it!

    Now I'm confused .... you had the original post back in January ... so did the Guild not proceed with it til now?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    999
    My first thought was snowflakes. Even a simple border with small snowflake beads/buttons with a bit of a glimmer.....

  8. #8
    Super Member GwynR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    1,199
    This may sound odd, but i like the color of your table on the outside of it. It matches the fence in the middle but does not detract. How about a border that looks kind of like a frame?

  9. #9
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    I like the idea of prarie points.

  10. #10
    Super Member dungeonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,028
    I like the idea of an fence as well. It would frame it nicely.

  11. #11
    Junior Member hatchet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    193
    Since it's a picture of a picture, I'd frame it in brown like a frame and if it's a wall hanging, it seems natural. You don't want to take away from the picture in the middle, only compliment it.

  12. #12
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,255
    Very cute wall hanging, but I have no idea what to put around it. I like the idea of the prairie points and the idea of the fence look to make it look like a wood frame around it. Good luck. :) Can't wait to see it finished.

  13. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    31,010
    How about using the binding that you sew on the back and flip to the front with faux piping? (tute on board) I would do my 1-3/8 binding dark blue and the 1-5/8 piping in white. Would piping count as 6th row?

  14. #14
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    873
    White prairie points!

  15. #15
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    842
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What a lovely quilt!!! Was the centrepiece a quilt challenge too?

    You've tied the focal part well with all your borders and trimmings for sure!

    If it's Quilter's Choice, and you don't really want it any larger ..... I'd say that the Quilter's Choice is no further borders! It looks absolutely perfect now ... and sometimes if you go that next step, you ruin it!

    Now I'm confused .... you had the original post back in January ... so did the Guild not proceed with it til now?
    This is called: "Dawn got to busy to work on this, so she procrastinated and has to have it done for the show in July." We were given the assignment for the 6th border at the end of January.
    We could anything as the centerpiece, a panel, a block, whatever we wanted. I had made this a couple years ago, and I was using it as a teaching tool for my class. The round robin came up and it just seemed like a good choice to use it.

  16. #16
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,172
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What a lovely quilt!!! Was the centrepiece a quilt challenge too?

    You've tied the focal part well with all your borders and trimmings for sure!

    If it's Quilter's Choice, and you don't really want it any larger ..... I'd say that the Quilter's Choice is no further borders! It looks absolutely perfect now ... and sometimes if you go that next step, you ruin it!

    Now I'm confused .... you had the original post back in January ... so did the Guild not proceed with it til now?
    This is called: "Dawn got to busy to work on this, so she procrastinated and has to have it done for the show in July." We were given the assignment for the 6th border at the end of January.
    We could anything as the centerpiece, a panel, a block, whatever we wanted. I had made this a couple years ago, and I was using it as a teaching tool for my class. The round robin came up and it just seemed like a good choice to use it.
    It was a perfect choice ... and you've done a great job.

  17. #17
    Junior Member Debd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boyds, MD
    Posts
    255
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like this idea, perhaps using a darker on two sides to make it a shadow box. You might get an optical illusion with your yoyos that way!

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchet
    Since it's a picture of a picture, I'd frame it in brown like a frame and if it's a wall hanging, it seems natural. You don't want to take away from the picture in the middle, only compliment it.

  18. #18
    Super Member KarenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    8
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!

  19. #19
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    842
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!
    What do you mean by flange?

  20. #20
    Super Member KarenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    How about using a flange as the 6th border, then binding. The flange could be any of the colors already in the quilt. It will add another design element to your wall hanging and not make it any larger.

    Love your quilt! Excellent work!
    What do you mean by flange?
    A flap (folded insert) of fabric between the quilt and the binding. For the one in the picture, I cut a 1" wide strip of fabric, folded it in half and ironed. After squaring up the quilt, the raw edges of the flap were matched to the raw edges of the quilt, pinned and machine basted a scant 1/4" from the raw edges. The sides were done first, then the top and bottom. Then the binding was applied. In the photo, the flap measures 1/4" and the binding 5/16".

    Every time I've done this, I've made a small mock-up to check the measurements of the flap and binding. Sometimes the results didn't match the pictures in my head and adjustments had to be made. :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,172
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    [
    A flap (folded insert) of fabric between the quilt and the binding. For the one in the picture, I cut a 1" wide strip of fabric, folded it in half and ironed. After squaring up the quilt, the raw edges of the flap were matched to the raw edges of the quilt, pinned and machine basted a scant 1/4" from the raw edges. The sides were done first, then the top and bottom. Then the binding was applied. In the photo, the flap measures 1/4" and the binding 5/16".

    Every time I've done this, I've made a small mock-up to check the measurements of the flap and binding. Sometimes the results didn't match the pictures in my head and adjustments had to be made. :-D
    Great idea .... now don't just tease us .... please do show us the rest of the quilt!! :)

  22. #22
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    842
    Blog Entries
    9
    Karen, you were the winner. I decided to go with a small flange. I'm going to put sew the binding down, then, I'll post the finish product. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the week. :)

  23. #23
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,857
    Blog Entries
    31
    Dawn marie, I love the quilt and you have suceeded in all the elements. Love the mittens.

    I like the idea of a frame. Also , just an idea, The yo-yo's would look great as if they were falling from the sky like snowflakes, Just at the top of the quilt, like it is just stating to snow.

    Love the whole quilt. I would also put a pocket in the back for the picture!

    Amend that yo-yo comment. I looked at the quilt again and see the idea of the snowballs. wonderful!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.