When I see pictures of the quilts posted on the Quiltingboard I so often wish I could see the photos of the quilt as it is being created. That is how I am going to post this and I hope you won't mind lots of photos.
The jelly roll quilt I made from my scraps
I started cutting my squares May 10, 2010 and finished the scrappy jelly roll quilt today. It was a hobby, not a job so I didn't do a 40 hour work week. I did spend a phenomenal amount of time reading, learning, researching, practicing and reading again. One of the best tools I had was this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw which came from one of the Quiltingboard posts from 2009. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17400-1.htm.
I enjoyed remembering whose stash the fabric came from, when I got it and what they may have been using it for.
I enjoyed remembering and applying the knowledge, tips and tricks I have learned on the Quiltingboard. Some of you will remember telling me some of these things in some of our posts.
Some of the good sewing habits I used: ( An asterisk * denotes the ones I learned on the Quiltingboard)
*Started a Quilting Diary, journaled each time I worked on the quilt and documented my work with digital photos
*used my walking foot
*used a Schmetz 75/11 quilting needle
*used the June Taylor Shape cut
*used a sharp rotary blade
*made good use of my folding tables and ironing 'wood board'
*used my design wall
*starched and pressed each seam, rolling them into a jelly roll.
*seamed strips from the jelly roll into a quilt top
*starched and pressed each strip seam
*added a 3 1/2" sashing strip around all 4 sides
double stitched around all 4 sides and then trimmed the raw edges.
*cut a 31/2" binding strip, pressed it in half with right sides together, *attached it to the backside of the quilt, *mitered the corners, and *stitched in the ditch from the top side to the bottom side.
*mitered each end of my binding strips together when I finished off the binding.
*was patient with the machine, sewing on slow+ speed letting the walking foot have time to function properly.
*was careful when moving the quilt with the walking foot raised so I didn't break the little plastic grabber thingy.
*did not put straight pins in my mouth.
Some of the not so good sewing habits I used:
used a 1/2" seam rather than the standard 1/4".
I had to sew over 5 spots on the binding where my I 'slid off' my stitch in the ditch. (An inch or so only per spot and I was proud of that!)
I broke one needle sewing over a straight pin.
I used the rotary blade on about 1 yard of the binding strip knowing it needed to be sharpened yet I waited to sharpen it.
I did not use leaders and enders.
The back side
One of the mitered corners
Scrappy Jelly Roll Quilt from my scraps
Top half of the Quilt
Pressing the strip for the jelly roll
The Jelly Roll
Stripped seams ready to be pressed
Sandwich pinned for stitching
Rolled to go under the throat
I had help
His name is Oreo
mitering the binding strip ends_1
Mitering the binding strip ends_2
Mitering the binding strip ends_3
Mitering the binding strip end _4
Mitered binding strip end ready to attach