"Knife, fork, scissors and fire"....

Old 10-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

oh bless him glad you can fix it for him
Old 10-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

scissors and little kids!!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Oh that stinks. Ever consider having him assist you with the repair? Of course it will go much slower, but maybe you'll have a budding quilter on your hands...
Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM

I understand the emotions when this happened. I would applique something over it , like a heart, , and give it a new look. Viel Glück , it will be fine when you are done.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Beautiful quilt-that homey look of Log Cabin. Now it will have a few accents to endear it to everyone in the family. Most adults have memories of having destroyed something through experimenting or trying something new. Though I am 79 years old I remember distinctly that my destruction experience was the mantles in the kerosene lamps that predated the farm houses before electricity came (1946 in that part of Colorado) If you touched them in the package they were a soft meshy fabric. If you touched them after putting them in the lamps they looked like a bulb (diffused the flame) and were brittle and broke up if touched. I touched them all and broke them. We all had to go to bed when the sun set-without supper. Yes, I was sorry and tearful. No one was harsh with me-just firm. When your grandson sees your cute fix it appliques, he will look back with love on an unfortunate day-so will the rest of the family.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:01 PM

Brings back memories. I tried to fix "scissors violence" but ....
Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 PM

out of tragedy comes understanding............. I'm sure he's learned his lesson
Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM

Very unfortunate but things like that happens with little ones like we all know. It is a part of life. It will look great when you get it fixed & a conversation piece when he gets older.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM

I also have a now-fond story of damaging a cherished item. My grandparents had a wood foot rest shaped like a hippo. The hippo had decorative knobs for eyes. There wasn't a lot to do inside at their house, so in the evenings, from the time I could make my way to this foot stool, I would play with the eyes. Grampa would take them away and hide them from me, and I'd spend the rest of our trip looking for them. Eventually, I stripped out the wood, so the eyes would fall out easily, but the "game" continued and he'd get so frustrated with me for not leaving them alone. When they were deciding who would get what when they were getting up in age (died in their 90s), they made sure I would get the hippo. It's in my living room now.

When I got a dog, the first thing she went for were the eyes on the hippo, so I had to be the one to take them away.

It's a good memory now, but man, I'm sure I made my very patient grampa very mad when it first happened!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:29 AM

My daughter's cat tore and shredded several places on the queen size quilt that I had made for her. Fortunately I had fabric left over (Of course I always buy too much "just in case"), so I constructed blocks like those in the quilt, removed torn parts of the quilt, and appliqued the new blocks over the holes. Looks like new, but the cat and I are no longer friends!!!!