I was asked to make a quilt from clothes a lady had made for herself to wear on a trip to Hawaii with her husband a few years ago. She has since passed away, but her daughter had saved these clothes and wanted a throw made to give her Dad for Father's Day. I decided to make a disappearing nine patch and use 5" squares cut from the skirts and tops in the bright colors for the four corners, black squares cut from one particular dress for the side center squares, and one fabric with a lot of orange for the center block in the nine patch. After making the two cuts in the nine patch, the daughter felt like there was too much black. I squared up the two sides of each section trimming a half inch from each of the black sides. This is the final quilt with the addition of borders. I had chosed the black and orange for the borders but felt like they looked to much like Halloween. After splitting the black and inserting the various strips separated by black squares, I thought it looked better. The bonus was that I liked making the border that way and will do it again. Always good to learn new things.
The second picture is the information she wanted to be on label. I added a piece of lace and the charms from one of her quilts. It was straight and even so the angle of the picture is distorting the frame around the label. I finished it off with binding made from the various fabrics.