Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Latest Confetti Art Quilt >

My Latest Confetti Art Quilt

My Latest Confetti Art Quilt

Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

very very pretty, love the confetti aspect of it.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
Lovely!
Could you share some of the steps used in doing " A Summer Ride"? Thank you.
I found this detailed process explanation on line: http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-...urescape-quilt
Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 AM

Thank you for your interest in how these confetti quilts are constructed. There are some instructions on the Internet and I did read up on some of them, but then I just went "by the seat of my pants" and tried it! It's so much fun! First I find a picture to loosely follow for inspiration then I start with a piece of backing fabric, face down, then cover with batting. Working directly on the batting, I sprinkle tiny pieces of fabric (approx. 3/8"-1/2"), in colors needed to make the picture. Using batik fabric scraps is nicest because the colors are the same on each side, but I use all scraps. I use a tweezer if I need to place pieces in a certain place. I just keep searching for the colors I need and use the fabric as "paint". When I have everything the way I want, I place a piece of tulle, in a dark color, over the entire piece and pin everything in place. I use a lot of pins because those little pieces can shift when I free motion quilt. I use whatever color thread I feel matches best and have not tried monofilament thread in quilting these. I have done several confetti quilts, but this is the first one I have shared on this board. I will post pics of the others I have done soon. Hope this answers some questions about how this process works. Just dig in and have fun! Oh, I do save the tiny pieces of fabric in baggies so the next time the "creative bug" hits, I have some colors to work with! I have one picture of "A Summer Ride" when it was in progress with the buggy pic that I used for inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
I found this detailed process explanation on line: http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-...urescape-quilt
Thank you, IQ2, for this link. It is helpful in explaning how this process works. The first ones I made were 14" X 14" and one was only 8" X 8". Smaller wasnt so intimidating for me!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
Did you use netting to hold the pieces in place? It is lovely!
Thank you. Yes, I used dark tulle to cover the piece.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
Lovely!
A while back, I think I saw another one like this. It was an autumn tree...I think! Did you do that one?
The person gave some pics and info on the different stages of the process. Could you share some of the steps used in doing " A Summer Ride"? Thank you.
No, I didn't make one with an autumn tree. I will post the others I made in the next few days. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Beautiful, just love it!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Billy'swife View Post
Thank you for your interest in how these confetti quilts are constructed. There are some instructions on the Internet and I did read up on some of them, but then I just went "by the seat of my pants" and tried it! It's so much fun! First I find a picture to loosely follow for inspiration then I start with a piece of backing fabric, face down, then cover with batting. Working directly on the batting, I sprinkle tiny pieces of fabric (approx. 3/8"-1/2"), in colors needed to make the picture. Using batik fabric scraps is nicest because the colors are the same on each side, but I use all scraps. I use a tweezer if I need to place pieces in a certain place. I just keep searching for the colors I need and use the fabric as "paint". When I have everything the way I want, I place a piece of tulle, in a dark color, over the entire piece and pin everything in place. I use a lot of pins because those little pieces can shift when I free motion quilt. I use whatever color thread I feel matches best and have not tried monofilament thread in quilting these. I have done several confetti quilts, but this is the first one I have shared on this board. I will post pics of the others I have done soon. Hope this answers some questions about how this process works. Just dig in and have fun! Oh, I do save the tiny pieces of fabric in baggies so the next time the "creative bug" hits, I have some colors to work with! I have one picture of "A Summer Ride" when it was in progress with the buggy pic that I used for inspiration.
Thank you for your reply and for the extra photo.
It looks like a fun project.
I may try this in the near future.
You did a fantastic job with yours. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

great job!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 PM

I have wanted to do one of these for a while. Yours is awesome to say the least. Give yourself a big pat on the back for trying something "outside the box."