View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 PM
tapper

Originally Posted by Billy'swife View Post
Thank you for your interest in how these confetti quilts are constructed. There are some instructions on the Internet and I did read up on some of them, but then I just went "by the seat of my pants" and tried it! It's so much fun! First I find a picture to loosely follow for inspiration then I start with a piece of backing fabric, face down, then cover with batting. Working directly on the batting, I sprinkle tiny pieces of fabric (approx. 3/8"-1/2"), in colors needed to make the picture. Using batik fabric scraps is nicest because the colors are the same on each side, but I use all scraps. I use a tweezer if I need to place pieces in a certain place. I just keep searching for the colors I need and use the fabric as "paint". When I have everything the way I want, I place a piece of tulle, in a dark color, over the entire piece and pin everything in place. I use a lot of pins because those little pieces can shift when I free motion quilt. I use whatever color thread I feel matches best and have not tried monofilament thread in quilting these. I have done several confetti quilts, but this is the first one I have shared on this board. I will post pics of the others I have done soon. Hope this answers some questions about how this process works. Just dig in and have fun! Oh, I do save the tiny pieces of fabric in baggies so the next time the "creative bug" hits, I have some colors to work with! I have one picture of "A Summer Ride" when it was in progress with the buggy pic that I used for inspiration.
Thank you for your reply and for the extra photo.
It looks like a fun project.
I may try this in the near future.
You did a fantastic job with yours. Thanks for sharing.