Someone a while ago (up to a year ago) posted a tote from www.thecreativethimble.com and I remembered it as I thought the tote was perfect. So, when I went back to the states in May, I ordered the pattern and brought it back with me.
Today it reached a high of 95F in my sewing room--which is entirely too hot to quilt as I didn't want that much material touching me. So, I attempted this bag...and then, really, it was crazy due to how much interfacing you have to fuse, but I just kept on going, and was able to finish this bag today. I actually started on it yesterday, but spent several hours on it today.
It's the first bag I've made that I've really been excited about. The pattern is not for the "faint of heart". I'm glad I had done some basic bags before attempting this one.
Anyway, the main fabric started out a sheet that I purchased at the "upscale G & W Clothing" (don't remember which town) in the states and the lining was a curtain, probably from England and only the contrast fabric was purchased as fabric, from the Wichita Machine Quilter's convention I was able to go to in May.
Here are the pictures. Enjoy. Thanks so much for your inspiration, everyone. I am in shock that I was able to make something that look so nice. My son asked me, when he saw me carrying it, "Did you make that?" That's a wonderful compliment!
The Front: Has a zippered pocket for a passport and a pocket behind it for the boarding pass.
The pockets (both sides) have a cord lock on it, with cording of your choice. I found some at a wholesale place near me, as well as the cord locks...thankfully very reasonably. (200 meters of cording was $3, and 200 cord locks, $6)
The back side of the tote: has large pocket with a magnetic closure. This was the first time I had put one of these in. I had previously bought them (last year) off Ebay in a group of 25 after paying $3.00+ for ONE at the local quilt shop in Dade City, FL. (I considered it almost robbery.)
Above the magnetic closure is a luggage strap, so that it can be slipped over the handles of another piece of carryon luggage.
Inside of the tote: A big zippered pocket for all those valuables that you don't want others to see or to accidentally slide out.
One side of the lining had a big pocket subdivided into three pockets. The middle one holds my Kindle.
The other side of the lining has a two pocket piece of fabric with a key fob. I decided to use a D ring with webbing. I had wanted pink cording for the outside to use in the two outside pockets but store only had red, white, black and orange. So I got my "pink fix" by using the webbing in pink.
I attached a vinyl compartment to hold business cards...the first time I had sewn on vinyl.
A closeup of of the magnetic closure.
This was my first run of this pattern, but I love it and I'm sure it won't be my last. I was thinking how I could use embroidered pieces or possibly quilted pieces, etc.
Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about this pattern. I think that this bag has everything I need!