Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help with border colors

Blog Entries
    I have three colors, see top of quilt. I need to make two more borders. one 2 1/2 then the last one at 4 1/4 inches. not sure which colors look better...I was thinking one of the colored leaf materials then the beige funky one for the final outside border. Thoughts...Help...

three materials on top....need two
    attachment-110113.jpe

how bout this? the hubby chimed in and did this
    attachment-110678.jpe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment-110112.jpe  

I think I'd use the lighter color leaf pattern for the 2-1/2" border and the small allover print for the wider border. Then the darker leaf print for the binding, unless you were planning to use black for the binding.

I'd definitely use the darker on on the left since it picks up the darker brown in all the blocks and I'd probably put it on the outside with one of the lighters ones between the dark brown sashing and the darker outer border.

Blog Entries
    I like this idea...I forgot about the binding...guess I do need all three materials.
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    I think I'd use the lighter color leaf pattern for the 2-1/2" border and the small allover print for the wider border. Then the darker leaf print for the binding, unless you were planning to use black for the binding.

Blog Entries
    I have one block not like the others...It was one block short so I looked in my scraps...and found one...once I sewed it I found out why it was in the scraps...it was not cut like the others. I have to keep it...no other left over materials left to complete a block. I am going to do some type of signature there. Hopefully make it blend. I am giving this to my folks for Christmas. If it comes out ok. I also am debating about having someone do the quilting. Longarm. There are several shops near me that do it. I really hate having someone else do my quilt but since its a gift to my parents I would like it to look nice. I'm torn....

I'd be tempted (if there's enough fabric) to just add a 6" border of the darkest fabric then bind it in black.

Blog Entries
    I like that idea too...I do not have black, but I do have dark brown. I will have to measure just to make sure it will not be too big. My parents have a full size bed not a queen size. Not sure how big it should be yet. It also may be too small. I know why people use patterns when making a bed now. I
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be tempted (if there's enough fabric) to just add a 6" border of the darkest fabric then bind it in black.

Blog Entries
    Slowly getting there...two more borders to go. I will have to wait till next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I like that idea too...I do not have black, but I do have dark brown. I will have to measure just to make sure it will not be too big. My parents have a full size bed not a queen size. Not sure how big it should be yet. It also may be too small. I know why people use patterns when making a bed now. I
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment-112291.jpe  

I like that lighter brown you have on now. My choice for the wider boarder would have been the dark brown. I think I would also use it for the binding if you have enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    Beautiful quilt! I agree with this suggestion :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast