Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
New EPP quilt La Passacaglia by Willyne Hammerstein >

New EPP quilt La Passacaglia by Willyne Hammerstein

New EPP quilt La Passacaglia by Willyne Hammerstein

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM

There are 2 pentagons sizes, two diamond shapes and a triangle. Thank you for the kind words!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Stunning. This is on my to-do list - best part so far is the search for fabrics.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Dazzling and beautiful; I keep thinking about making a kaleidoscope but not sure that I'll ever be brave enough! Your colour choices are so right for a mallard theme. Wonderful work, thank you for sharing.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:54 PM

Susan, I have a lot more questions, if you don't mind, but your blocks are beautiful - I can't even think of a word that expresses it!

I've started basting something similar (I custom ordered the paper pieces) but I would never have the courage to fussy cut them! They matchup so perfectly. Did you use a Stack and Whack type of technique? And then there is o much potential for slipping when you are basting, however did you do it??? How are you going to put the blocks together? Will you use a single fabric, like a path in Grandmothers Flower Garden?

Do you baste through the paper or just around it ?

More importantly, when I baste the narrow diamonds, I end up with a lot of "dog ears" that I think will get I the way when I sew the diamonds together. What did you do with them? I would be afraid to cut them off.

What kind of thread to you use to sew them together? Do you match the color to the fabrics or use a neutral thread throughout.

And what stitch? There is a tutorial which is included in another post which says to seem together did by side instead of putting them right sides together, on top of each other - it says that the stitches show less. I have seen posts on the board that haves used a buttonhole stitch, whip stitch and ladder stitch.

Sorry to overwhelm you with questions. All of these uncertainties are my excuse to not start sewing the hexies (diamonds) together. The honest truth is that I'm scared!

I haven't seen the book you mentioned. Does it have any good ideas for getting round the problems of the sharp points? By the way, it is called a Penrose Tiling. I posted a picture of an antique quilt on here a few years ago to ask wht h pattern was, and a very clever member of the board identified it.

Thank you, your quilt is an inspiration.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by lorli View Post
Susan, I have a lot more questions, if you don't mind, but your blocks are beautiful - I can't even think of a word that expresses it!

I've started basting something similar (I custom ordered the paper pieces) but I would never have the courage to fussy cut them! They matchup so perfectly. Did you use a Stack and Whack type of technique? And then there is o much potential for slipping when you are basting, however did you do it??? How are you going to put the blocks together? Will you use a single fabric, like a path in Grandmothers Flower Garden?

Do you baste through the paper or just around it ?

More importantly, when I baste the narrow diamonds, I end up with a lot of "dog ears" that I think will get I the way when I sew the diamonds together. What did you do with them? I would be afraid to cut them off.

What kind of thread to you use to sew them together? Do you match the color to the fabrics or use a neutral thread throughout.

And what stitch? There is a tutorial which is included in another post which says to seem together did by side instead of putting them right sides together, on top of each other - it says that the stitches show less. I have seen posts on the board that haves used a buttonhole stitch, whip stitch and ladder stitch.

Sorry to overwhelm you with questions. All of these uncertainties are my excuse to not start sewing the hexies (diamonds) together. The honest truth is that I'm scared!

I haven't seen the book you mentioned. Does it have any good ideas for getting round the problems of the sharp points? By the way, it is called a Penrose Tiling. I posted a picture of an antique quilt on here a few years ago to ask wht h pattern was, and a very clever member of the board identified it.

Thank you, your quilt is an inspiration.

Thanks for your kind words. This quilr is called La Passacaglia if you google it you will see how they eventually fit together. I use a template to fussy cut then glue baste. When I am cutting I find two points on the fabric pattern to align with the paper pieces when I glue. I use Bottom Line thread by Superior and whip stitch with right sides together.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM

I love your quilt!! Your fabric choices are genius as is your fussy cutting.

I have never done any EPP. The closest thing I've done is a few yoyos. I've googled around to see how to do it and I see where they fold the fabric on the paper and then baste. I'm assuming they just finger press? And once you have enough of the little pieces you put right sides together and stitch them and then remove the paper?

You said you "glue baste". Are you gluing the fabric to the paper instead of basting? And then stitching the little pieces together and removing the paper?

I would like to wrap my head around this before buying the book and the paper pattern pieces because I am going to try making one.

Again, your quilt is so beautiful! Someone else said "work of art" and they are right.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Oh, my goodness, how amazing this is
Old 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM

Nevermind - I found a video tutorial about paper piecing in general that answered my questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqa70gU-E9U

Can't wait to get the supplies and get started!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM

Wow, love it! Please share as you add to it.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 PM
QM
Power Poster

Yes, please show us your work as you go along.