Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait quilt - How would you quilt this?

Portrait quilt - How would you quilt this?

I was working off this photo:

Name:  ron-june-2011.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  252.6 KB

To make this wall quilt:

Name:  ron-quilt-final.JPG
Views: 1591
Size:  544.8 KB

Using PhotoShop, I selected the area from the original photo that I wanted to use in the quilt, then printed it very lightly onto my fabric using grayscale, black ink only. The result was very faint. I then used Derwent Inktense pencils and a couple of different paint brushes to achieve the shading results. It's not exactly like the photo image, but I think it turned out satisfactory. This was my brother-in-law of 52 years, my oldest sisters husband, who passed away a few weeks ago.

My question is simply this: How would you quilt this? I was thinking to do a little bit of quilting on the tree areas, but as I began to do so I realized I'd have to be tying off the threads after nearly every tree/shrub! Now I'm thinking I might spend some evenings doing it by hand, but have never tried hand quilting before so it would be something new for me. I guess I'm up to the challenge. lol

I think I'd probably do something very simple, such as SID around the inner and outer borders, and maybe small stippling in the sky area?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!
    Thanks for looking

Helen
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I am just a beginner, but that is really neat. I love it. In the quilt his eyes looks a little on the redish brown side. All in all fabulous. Go for it.

I can't offer quilting help, but you did a wonderful job! I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated!

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    You have done such a great job so far. Can't wait till you have it completed.

On your background what about using a variegated thread that would more or less blend in especially in the shrubbery. As far as your brother-in-law's portrait you would need to study it and also how others have done it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

What ever you do it will look fantastic.

It is pretty awesome. I have seen people follow the contours of the face. I have also seen micro stippling on faces so that it is an even texture throughout. Also I have seen small scribbles to get the texture. You pretty well cover the whole face with thread.

I hope you will post it when it is finished. What a treasure you are making.
    DEB CAVAN

Wonderful job. Can't help with the quilting.

Your quilt looks great so far. I am not much help on the quilting but I would suggest that you start out minimally (SID) and then see what it "needs". I am sure that you will "see" it as you go.
    Lori - MamaBear

Wow, that is amazing! You did a wonderful job.

You've done a fantastic job! Definitely hand stitching would be the best. You could highlight edging in shirt as well. Let us see how you did it when done!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast