Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Block bender - finished centre (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/block-bender-finished-centre-t102240.html)

k3n 02-23-2011 05:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I got into these Block Bender quilts after drose posted a picture from the book on here. So I got the book by Margaret Miller, and here's my first attempt.

I'd be grateful also to hear your preferences as to the setting, on point either way or straight set - my opinion changes by the hour!

This is my own design based on my own grid. Initially I hoped to be able to piece it by cutting rectangles from two strips, like Rhonda's cut down method for HSTs but because of the angles and seam allowances of these Half Rectangle Triangles (can we call them 'HRTs'? :mrgreen: :lol: ) it didn't work. So I made the templates from template plastic as recommended in the book.

It was quite time consuming but it's a process I really enjoyed - and it inspired me to colour code my scraps as well! :-D

I have a dark Jinny Beyer fabric with a spectrum of dots running across it that I'd like to use for the border. This piece is 34" x 30". Thanks for looking and reading my waffle if you got this far! :lol:

PIeced on point with the shaft of light running horizontally
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158056[/ATTACH]

Straight set
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158057[/ATTACH]

On point with the shaft of light running vertically
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158058[/ATTACH]

thequilterslink 02-23-2011 05:49 AM

I like the first one, very nicely done.

kittenquilts 02-23-2011 05:50 AM

That is too cool! I think I like the straight set. Please be sure to post the finished quilt - can't wait to see it!

k3n 02-23-2011 05:51 AM

Thank you - til now that was my LEAST favourite option, but now I see it on here, I think it's definitely the most bendy of the three!

Katrine 02-23-2011 05:52 AM

Straight set for me - it gives more movement I think.
Like it very much Kathryn!

k3n 02-23-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by kittenquilts
That is too cool! I think I like the straight set. Please be sure to post the finished quilt - can't wait to see it!

Sorry we were posting at the same time! I meant the first one was my least favourite - I was leaning towards straight set as well until now! Aaarghh! :lol:

k3n 02-23-2011 05:54 AM

Well once I decide on straight or on point, I can put the borders on at least! Then I can decide which way up! But I still don't know so I'll shut up for a bit and see what ppl say... LOL

PurplePassion 02-23-2011 06:03 AM

I like the first one. It is funny how taking a picture and looking at it on the computer ,gives us a different view of a block or quilt.

rilene 02-23-2011 06:05 AM

I like the first one best also, but they all look really cool.

sandpat 02-23-2011 06:14 AM

I like the straight set too. It has side to side and vertical movement with the changing of the colors and sizes of the blocks. It almost appears to be folded on the edges. I think you loose that effect when you turn it on point for some reason that I haven't had enough coffee to figure out.

Great play with color though, so what are the borders going to be and are you going to play with applique on this type of quilt too?