Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Borders-I need some opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/borders-i-need-some-opinions-t48052.html)

MamaBear61 06-02-2010 05:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I am working on a quilt for my DB & SIL. It has a real farm theme and I can't decide on what to do for borders. I am probably adding two (2" & 4", or something similiar) I had a few fabrics in mind when I started but am not sure that any of them are right. I wonder if they are carrying the farm theme a little too far and I should be looking for something completely different. This is making a queen size quilt, but my picture is only of one corner and then pictures with 6 different border possibilities. Please give me your honest thoughts about the pictured fabrics or ideas for something else that you see working with this pattern. Thanks, Lori

Quilt top without borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77450[/ATTACH]

3 possibles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77451[/ATTACH]

3 more possibles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77452[/ATTACH]

mrspete 06-02-2010 05:17 AM

I like t he plaid. It stands out after the brown sashing. Looks nice. I might attempt the windowbox one day. I'm still getting my feet wet. Luck.

quiltingnonie 06-02-2010 05:20 AM

I would try the red Farmall fabric for the first border, then the outer border with the haybales or wheat fabric. The larger prints are too busy, and your eyes need a place to rest 'cause there is so much to see!

Neat looking quilt!!

bearisgray 06-02-2010 05:20 AM

I love the fabrics you found.

I prefer the "straw" (I think - or is it ripe grain?) - tannish gold fabric, and the darker brown bale fabric.

Those two colors represent the "harvest" part of farming to me and would make the quilt look more "adult" to me.

The other fabrics would make quilt look more "kiddish" to me.

paintedquilt 06-02-2010 05:25 AM

I like the stacked hay

2 Doods 06-02-2010 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I would try the red Farmall fabric for the first border, then the outer border with the haybales or wheat fabric. The larger prints are too busy, and your eyes need a place to rest 'cause there is so much to see!

Neat looking quilt!!

Me too!
I'd add a bit of red too and then frame it again in a brown.
Hope you will post when it is done! Anxious to see the whole thing. :thumbup:

Scissor Queen 06-02-2010 05:36 AM

I think I'd go with either of the tan fabrics. The quilt is fairly busy with a lot to look at and the straw bales or the wheat will give it a calm border. Try your pictures from a distance too. Sometimes just seeing it from a distance in a picture can help make the decision for you.

Tippy 06-02-2010 05:43 AM

I like the plaid in the first pic.. and I like the haybales.
Very cute !!!

MoMoSews 06-02-2010 05:44 AM

I like the first 2 ( the tan and red Farmall ones. (not a biased opinion becaused I'm retired from Deere)

dglvr 06-02-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I think I'd go with either of the tan fabrics. The quilt is fairly busy with a lot to look at and the straw bales or the wheat will give it a calm border. Try your pictures from a distance too. Sometimes just seeing it from a distance in a picture can help make the decision for you.

I think this is a great idea. I do like the hay bales. :thumbup: