Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A Christmas table runner I will NEVER, EVER make again ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/christmas-table-runner-i-will-never-ever-make-again-t6688.html)

tlrnhi 04-30-2008 11:50 PM

It's pretty, but like you said...expensive!
I don't have the luxury to be able to take classes, but if I did, I'd make dang sure about the price of the fabric. Not saying you didn't, don't get me wrong.
You know....I have $25 and it will look REALLY pretty on my table at Christmas! lol

Karla, I'm sorry you had a sad night.
Hope things look up for you.
Hugs to you girl!

Butterflyspain 05-01-2008 12:33 AM

That is absolutely stunning.
Yes I know what you mean about the money though we are such fanatics about quilting and sometimes there are people out there just waiting to line their pockets.
That Serge machine, think we call it an overlocker, by the sounds of the 4 spools on top....would that make sense??? It overlocks the material and cuts at the same time. :?:

Izy 05-01-2008 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cordelia
Thank you. The killer on it really was the cost of the class and the serger thread.

There's no way around it, both edges of the strips are serged (and that was really, really fun too) and used up a lot of fancy metalic serger thread.

I don't even have a serger machine. The quilt shop let me use one of theirs. I don't even know what they are. My mom has one. It sits up in her room with these like four huge spools of thread on it.

I'm like, what's that? My serger machine. What's it do? Serges.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cordelia - Can you please explain to me exactly what a serger machine does, I thought it was like an overlocker????? But I can't figure out how you would use it in the middle of a project??????????????? Think I am having a very senior moment...... :? :roll:

Knot Sew 05-01-2008 03:53 AM

Well at least you have a pattern and a little more knowledge, it is beautiful :D

lin 05-01-2008 03:57 AM

:lol: You're too funny Cordelia. I love a good laugh to start my day and this was it!!

Well, I think it looks like a million bucks!! That is soooo festive and you can tell it's well-made. But you're right...not many are willing to pay what something is worth.

I'd be proud to have that on my table at Christmas. :)

Roben 05-01-2008 04:08 AM

Why, Cordeila, it sounds like you've been to a class at my local Viking dealer! (Those get expensive too - a $15 class my patootie!!) I have a money pit too; the $15 class in how to do the Quiltsmart Lone Star has turned into a $250 in kit and material quilt top, so I definitely sympathize with you there.

Thanks for the laugh this morning :) I'd put it on my table and dare anyone to have food or drink anywhere near it :lol:

Kyiav10 05-01-2008 07:57 AM

It sure is beautiful. Good work.

Kyia

Missi 05-01-2008 10:27 AM

Cordeila it is beautiful!! And, you are not the only one who has money pits.
I am currently working on one and ready to pull my hair out :x

Cordelia 05-01-2008 12:31 PM

Thanks, all. I am laughing about how expensive it was to make and how utterly useless it really is because there's no way on God's green earth food or drink, or candle, will be within three feet of it.

Izzy, my mom calls it a serger. Those woven strips of fabric, I stitched them on the serger machine and it put those gold metalic thread bindings, I guess you could call it. You know, like fine holiday fabric ribbon has? And I always wondered why they're so costly too! Now I know, it's that sparkly metallic edge on it.

Those are two inch strips all the edges are overlocked, I guess is another name for it.

I put a big image there, you can see really close up.

kinkajou 05-01-2008 01:42 PM

I LOVE it!