Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas table runner I will NEVER, EVER make again ...

Whew! I made this a year ago. I took a class for it.

But it was a pain in the duff! It's woven strips of fabric with serged edges. I used three (3) spools of serger thread. I don't know how to spell serge. Surge?

I will say the effect is beautiful under candle light and twinkling Christmas lights, but not an item I can sell at a craft fair.

It's tacky to talk about money, but honey, it was $40 for the class, 3 half yards for the woven strips, 2.5 yards for the border and backing and $12.99 per spool of serger thread. The backing is the same border fabric.

Do the math!

The official $140 table runner.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to laugh because that's INSANE. What was I thinking? I can see me now at some craft fair and having some one wanting to buy it for, oh, $25! Yeah, that's what they like to pay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anybody else have "money pit" projects?

Here it is anyway.

Attached Images Attached Images

At least it's beautiful :D

Cordelia, I don't have any money pit projects, but that is beautiful.

Thank you. The killer on it really was the cost of the class and the serger thread.

There's no way around it, both edges of the strips are serged (and that was really, really fun too) and used up a lot of fancy metalic serger thread.

I don't even have a serger machine. The quilt shop let me use one of theirs. I don't even know what they are. My mom has one. It sits up in her room with these like four huge spools of thread on it.

I'm like, what's that? My serger machine. What's it do? Serges.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NIce runner though - better keep it for yourself!!!

And that is some of my Tom Cruise MI-1 arial photography too. :)

LOL! You are so funny Cordelia! You gotta admit though, that is one pretty table runner! Don't you dare put candles on it. Wax drips would not be funny! LOL! I think I might frame it! You have to make more to offset the "cost!" Gorgeous!

But wow is it gorgeous!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    THANK YOU for your post. I've had a very sad night and I'm in the perfect mood to have something make me laugh... and this was it!!! Now I'm crying again but this time it's much more fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are a riot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I would put it behind glass and frame it :D It really is a true beauty :D

It's pretty, but like you said...expensive!
    I don't have the luxury to be able to take classes, but if I did, I'd make dang sure about the price of the fabric. Not saying you didn't, don't get me wrong.
    You know....I have $25 and it will look REALLY pretty on my table at Christmas! lol

Karla, I'm sorry you had a sad night.
    Hope things look up for you.
    Hugs to you girl!

That is absolutely stunning.
    Yes I know what you mean about the money though we are such fanatics about quilting and sometimes there are people out there just waiting to line their pockets.
    That Serge machine, think we call it an overlocker, by the sounds of the 4 spools on top....would that make sense??? It overlocks the material and cuts at the same time. :?:

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia
    Thank you. The killer on it really was the cost of the class and the serger thread.

There's no way around it, both edges of the strips are serged (and that was really, really fun too) and used up a lot of fancy metalic serger thread.

I don't even have a serger machine. The quilt shop let me use one of theirs. I don't even know what they are. My mom has one. It sits up in her room with these like four huge spools of thread on it.

I'm like, what's that? My serger machine. What's it do? Serges.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Cordelia - Can you please explain to me exactly what a serger machine does, I thought it was like an overlocker????? But I can't figure out how you would use it in the middle of a project??????????????? Think I am having a very senior moment...... :? :roll:

Well at least you have a pattern and a little more knowledge, it is beautiful :D

lin
    :lol: You're too funny Cordelia. I love a good laugh to start my day and this was it!!

Well, I think it looks like a million bucks!! That is soooo festive and you can tell it's well-made. But you're right...not many are willing to pay what something is worth.

I'd be proud to have that on my table at Christmas. :)

Why, Cordeila, it sounds like you've been to a class at my local Viking dealer! (Those get expensive too - a $15 class my patootie!!) I have a money pit too; the $15 class in how to do the Quiltsmart Lone Star has turned into a $250 in kit and material quilt top, so I definitely sympathize with you there.

Thanks for the laugh this morning :) I'd put it on my table and dare anyone to have food or drink anywhere near it :lol:

It sure is beautiful. Good work.

Kyia

Cordeila it is beautiful!! And, you are not the only one who has money pits.
    I am currently working on one and ready to pull my hair out :x

Thanks, all. I am laughing about how expensive it was to make and how utterly useless it really is because there's no way on God's green earth food or drink, or candle, will be within three feet of it.

Izzy, my mom calls it a serger. Those woven strips of fabric, I stitched them on the serger machine and it put those gold metalic thread bindings, I guess you could call it. You know, like fine holiday fabric ribbon has? And I always wondered why they're so costly too! Now I know, it's that sparkly metallic edge on it.

Those are two inch strips all the edges are overlocked, I guess is another name for it.

I put a big image there, you can see really close up.

I LOVE it!

Izy
    Thanks, all. I am laughing about how expensive it was to make and how utterly useless it really is because there's no way on God's green earth food or drink, or candle, will be within three feet of it.

Izzy, my mom calls it a serger. Those woven strips of fabric, I stitched them on the serger machine and it put those gold metalic thread bindings, I guess you could call it. You know, like fine holiday fabric ribbon has? And I always wondered why they're so costly too! Now I know, it's that sparkly metallic edge on it.

Those are two inch strips all the edges are overlocked, I guess is another name for it.

I put a big image there, you can see really close up.
    Now I understand, the centre is made from woven fabrics which you have stitched all the edges with beautiful gold threads, it was hard to tell from the photo. :D

Did you say you have posted a close up = we can't see it :cry:

You have to download it to see it. You can see the edges better that way.

I had to use Wonder Under on the fabric, then serge it, then weaving the strips and pressing them down.

The result is very nice, but it was really a pain in the back end.

Here's a picture of the instructor's version, and they make nice Christmas stockings too.

Wow, I see the class was only $30. That makes it the $130 table runner.

:lol:

This was back in 11/06 I made this thing.

Attached Images Attached Images

Cordelia, its gorgeous, have not see anything like it. Guard it with your life :mrgreen:

At one time or another we all have had a money pit project! I recall a project my husband and I started, made some cedar boxes, filled them with dirt and planted some strawberry plants. Our yield of strawberries that year, well, I figure it cost us about $137.00/pound for those few strawberries!!! The plants didn't last and we aborted our strawberry growing venture!:roll:

M

Izy
    You have to download it to see it. You can see the edges better that way.

I had to use Wonder Under on the fabric, then serge it, then weaving the strips and pressing them down.

The result is very nice, but it was really a pain in the back end.

Here's a picture of the instructor's version, and they make nice Christmas stockings too.

Wow, I see the class was only $30. That makes it the $130 table runner.

:lol:

Funnily enough just last Tuesday one of my friends at the guild, had made her first woven 'ribbon' cushion, it was beautiful, you attached the vertical ribbons to fusible vilene just at the top and the bottom, then you weave the horizontal ribbons in and out, then iron them all down!! That sounds abit quicker and cheaper with a very similar effect....not as lovely as your gold threads though, but I suppose if you found really decorative ribbon you would get some great effects!! :D

This was back in 11/06 I made this thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast