Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Depression nursery rhyme embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/depression-nursery-rhyme-embroidery-t80492.html)

leatheflea 12-04-2010 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My mother made 10 hand embroidered squares. She gave them to me to put into a quilt. The colors are depression era colors. So I purchased depression fabric. The the embroidered blocks are 9 1/2". I need a quilt pattern to put these sqaures into. I've done the google search and cant seem to find a pattern that pleases me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Heres what I have to work with. It was really hard finding fabric to match her colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137872[/ATTACH]

sewnmom 12-04-2010 05:00 AM

how about adding a border around each one, maybe 1.5 border, that would give you 10 blk.. or to make a larger quilt, put a blank blk,in between each blk., just a thought, pretty blocks btw, a treasure, to have some work your mother did. molly

clem55 12-04-2010 05:02 AM

those are just darling!. No ideas for a pattern to use, but I dont think I'd want anything too busy, I wouldn't want to take away from the embroidery. Maybe just a little 4-patch using the fabrics you chose.

pheasantduster 12-04-2010 05:04 AM

They are beautiful - take your time - something will hit you just right. Lets us know what you decide.

gollytwo 12-04-2010 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
those are just darling!. No ideas for a pattern to use, but I dont think I'd want anything too busy, I wouldn't want to take away from the embroidery. Maybe just a little 4-patch using the fabrics you chose.

I agree
Any 30's fabric will work; the ones you show are fine
Since the blocks aren't small, I think a 9-patch would look good.
I'd probably mix in 30's solids with the prints

Kathy-Pgh 12-04-2010 05:16 AM

Might suggest something simple like a snowball or square-in-a-square. You really want the embroidery to pop.

leatheflea 12-04-2010 05:20 AM

Wow thats funny becasue I bought the fabric trying to kinda blend and take away from the blocks, the colors she used are all over the place, they dont match at all.

phatquilts 12-04-2010 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo

I agree
Any 30's fabric will work; the ones you show are fine
Since the blocks aren't small, I think a 9-patch would look good.
I'd probably mix in 30's solids with the prints

Also, you could consider making the embroidered blocks into an arrowhead (triangle of 30s fabric sewn into opposing sides). Gives you a secondary design in the corners alternating with the 9-patch block. Much easier than it sounds. Clear as mud, right.

leatheflea 12-04-2010 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy-Pgh
Might suggest something simple like a snowball or square-in-a-square. You really want the embroidery to pop.

Great idea! I made a snowball last year. I would need to resize the pattern, which is hard for me, math dummy, I struggle with basic math, I have to see it on paper. Thanks for your idea.

sandyo 12-04-2010 05:23 AM

I would just boarder each block. You would want the embroidery to show and then maybe a more scrappy binding. Let us know how it turns out.