Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Depression nursery rhyme embroidery

My mother made 10 hand embroidered squares. She gave them to me to put into a quilt. The colors are depression era colors. So I purchased depression fabric. The the embroidered blocks are 9 1/2". I need a quilt pattern to put these sqaures into. I've done the google search and cant seem to find a pattern that pleases me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Heres what I have to work with. It was really hard finding fabric to match her colors.
    Name:  Attachment-137867.jpe
Views: 113
Size:  55.7 KB

how about adding a border around each one, maybe 1.5 border, that would give you 10 blk.. or to make a larger quilt, put a blank blk,in between each blk., just a thought, pretty blocks btw, a treasure, to have some work your mother did. molly

Blog Entries
    those are just darling!. No ideas for a pattern to use, but I dont think I'd want anything too busy, I wouldn't want to take away from the embroidery. Maybe just a little 4-patch using the fabrics you chose.

Blog Entries
    They are beautiful - take your time - something will hit you just right. Lets us know what you decide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    those are just darling!. No ideas for a pattern to use, but I dont think I'd want anything too busy, I wouldn't want to take away from the embroidery. Maybe just a little 4-patch using the fabrics you chose.
    I agree
    Any 30's fabric will work; the ones you show are fine
    Since the blocks aren't small, I think a 9-patch would look good.
    I'd probably mix in 30's solids with the prints

Might suggest something simple like a snowball or square-in-a-square. You really want the embroidery to pop.

Wow thats funny becasue I bought the fabric trying to kinda blend and take away from the blocks, the colors she used are all over the place, they dont match at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I agree
    Also, you could consider making the embroidered blocks into an arrowhead (triangle of 30s fabric sewn into opposing sides). Gives you a secondary design in the corners alternating with the 9-patch block. Much easier than it sounds. Clear as mud, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy-Pgh
    Might suggest something simple like a snowball or square-in-a-square. You really want the embroidery to pop.
    Great idea! I made a snowball last year. I would need to resize the pattern, which is hard for me, math dummy, I struggle with basic math, I have to see it on paper. Thanks for your idea.

I would just boarder each block. You would want the embroidery to show and then maybe a more scrappy binding. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    how about adding a border around each one, maybe 1.5 border, that would give you 10 blk.. or to make a larger quilt, put a blank blk,in between each blk., just a thought, pretty blocks btw, a treasure, to have some work your mother did. molly
    I played with a simular idea, using the the color the most prevelent in the block as the border.

Quote Originally Posted by phatquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I agree
    Wouldn't that basically be a snowball block?
    Also, you could consider making the embroidered blocks into an arrowhead (triangle of 30s fabric sewn into opposing sides). Gives you a secondary design in the corners alternating with the 9-patch block. Much easier than it sounds. Clear as mud, right.

Beautiful blocks,I like the idea of the border around each with a block in between . Good luck.

Your DM made some very beautiful blocks and the fabrics you show are a perfect match. Just a simple design between each block would be fine and a small border around each block to FRAME them. I can't wait to see what you decide.
    By the way, how are things going for you since Thanksgiving? I think about you often and hope you get the "situation" taken care of.

That will make such a wonderful quilt. I have been collecting vintage (real and inspired) embroidery blocks for years and would like to do something with them. Can't wait to see how you use them. Please post pics.

BTW, do you think you may need to back the blocks somehow? They look a little thinner, but maybe that's just the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    That will make such a wonderful quilt. I have been collecting vintage (real and inspired) embroidery blocks for years and would like to do something with them. Can't wait to see how you use them. Please post pics.

BTW, do you think you may need to back the blocks somehow? They look a little thinner, but maybe that's just the pic.
    Yes she used a very thin fabric, I didnt show it but I did get a cream color to back them with. The blocks will not only be backed with the cream but they all will be bordered with it also because some of them are not square... so the only thing I can do because I cant cut them down was to add to the size. I'm hoping to get it done by her birthday at the end of next month, if i work hard I might be able to do it for christmas.

Well I'm stumped with this one, So I purches quilt pro program so I can make the quilt before I make the quilt. Cant afford any mistakes. These blocks are old and fragile (at least to me). So I decided to get the cheapest software that would let me scan in my blocks and fabric.

Blog Entries
    Darling!

Here is one I did with my great grandmother's flour sack embroidery. Kind of wild, but I like it.

I just realized I posted a picture of the quilt before I had embroidered similar "bunnies" in the corners.

Task a day Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-138382.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  61.4 KB

Blog Entries
    What I would do is cut 2-1/2" strips & sew them randomly between each block. Maybe have a popper color such as orange for the center lattice block.....just an idea.........

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    A border around each was my first idea, too. Someone else suggested a simple block between, rather than a blank block -- depends on whether you want to add a hand-quilted design to blank blocks.
    The blocks remind me of some painted ones my mother made in the 50's. I made fabric frames for two for my neice in the 80's.

Lea, Those squares are adorable! I can't wait to see the quilt once you finish it. Please post a pic.
    And Cynde, I love your quilt. Great job!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Wonderful blocks!!! They will be a forever treasure from your Mom :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Cindy, I love your quilt!! :D

Those are adorable. Can't wait to see your finished quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast