Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   doll clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/doll-clothes-t31502.html)

Fritzy 12-15-2009 08:05 PM

Anned, I have many, many doll clothes patterns & I plan on hanging on to them for a long time. I've even picked up some very old ones at garage sales & have used a few. Once in awhile I'll have people call who have antique dolls they want clothes for & I have used some of these older ones. I'm always looking at them in the pattern books but have to talk myself out of them unless I need to get a specific one. Wish I could do that with fabric!! I wouldn't get rid of them you never know when you might need them.

vicki reno 12-16-2009 04:18 AM

I bought the 1st pattern for small dolls on the internet. I had other patterns,but for 18 inch dolls. I made rag dolls years ago for nieces and will probably do that next year for the GD. So keep your patterns. You just never know!

sew4fun 12-16-2009 04:36 AM

What a lucky little girl. I loved getting doll clothes for my dolls. My Mom & Grandmother made clothes for me so I had the best dressed dolls. I still have some of the clothes. Thanks for sharing & reminding me of this memory. :)

bourvel 12-16-2009 05:27 AM

Gee, these are really nice, you're a pro at making these dolls clothes, I sewed some this summer for my GD for her AG doll, I found it difficult when not using interlock fabric and I realized they're not so easy to make as they look. Thanks for giving the guts to try again

vicki reno 12-16-2009 05:36 AM

The pieces are tiny that's for sure. I varied the pattern by using different lengths for the skirt and different sleeves. Also, after using both patterns (Simplicity and McCalls), Simplicity has by far the better instructions and labeling of pattern pieces is much better too. Don't give up. the 1st dress I made, I didn't realize there were 2 separate bodice pieces--with one serving as the facing. I used bias tape instead. The next one went better and so on. I made the dresses look different by embellishments and stuck to a pattern that I could do without a lot of aggravation. I can spend hours working on a quilt but have very little patience when sewing garments for me or a doll!
The only time I had a problem was with the directions for the romper. I was to sew both bodice pieces together and be able to turn the right side out at the shoulder. No Way! There wasn't enough space to do this. So I concentrated on the neckline to connect the 2 pieces and used bias tape at the armhole. That went much better and less hair got pulled out of my head in frustration! LOL

Anned 12-16-2009 09:26 PM

Guess I will keep the doll patterns. Might move them to their own box though and make them feel special. Anne

mrsmail 02-07-2010 06:16 PM

I once made a lot of doll clothes, and then never did anything with them as my girls had all grown up. Discovered that the little neighbor girl didn't play with dolls. Boy did they come in handy 2 years later, when my daughter gave birth to a 10 week early preemie. She weighed 3 lbs, 3/10 of an oz. She was the same size as a 1 liter coke bottle. The clothes fit perfectly for size, maybe a tad long, but otherwise just right. Preemie clothes were not that easy to come by back then, so what a blessing!

skpkatydid 02-07-2010 08:48 PM

This reminds me of the one Christmas that I made Barbie clothes for our 8 year old. I said they were from Mom,instead of Santa, because she would recognize some of the fabric. She was so excited when she opened them. She asked me "When did you make these?" I told her after they all went to bed. ( I stitched them by hand because I couldn't use the machine for seams so small). She looked at me with love and gratitude. It made me feel warm inside.

Thank you for sharing the doll clothes that sparked my memory.