Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ-What am I doing wrong!!!?!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-what-am-i-doing-wrong-t216874.html)

patsynel 03-20-2013 02:34 PM

I had this happen to me. I would re-thread the machine, change needles, check the bobbin and lower the tension. Hope you find a solution, this is frustrating.

pcraddock 03-20-2013 03:00 PM

adjust your top tension , i had the same problem with my new juli 2000 qi , finally i got it adjusted right, now i love. it .adjust a little at a time , then a little more , you'll get there. i had to do alot of picking out too , uck , good luck

quiltingnd 03-20-2013 03:09 PM

Well..I had just finished doing a regular stitch around the squares themselves and you can actually see that in the pictures. It looked fine.

And then I switched to my darning foot, changed the tension and length. I will rethread my bobbin and get a new needle and set everything back...and see if it makes a difference. I have no idea how to change the tension in the top thread.

Ugh..it's just so frustrating. I'm trying to remember to breath....and take it slowly.

Foxflower 03-20-2013 03:17 PM

To change the tension in the top thread you need to twist your tension dial in the body of your machine. To adjust BOBBIN tension you have to turn a screw on the bobbin case. Something looks wonky with your top tension to me, but I'm a novice too.

dmarie 03-20-2013 03:31 PM

That happens to me when I forget to lower the pressure foot. Easy to take out. Good luck.

Blinkokr 03-20-2013 03:56 PM

Sorry for you problem and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed night
Ellen

omaluvs2quilt 03-20-2013 05:59 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking...It's so easy to forget when you're using the darning foot. It can also be lint in the bobbin area or if your machine needs a little drop of oil in that area. Also be sure the bobbin thread is wound nice and tight, although you would probably see problems with straight stitch too. I have found that my Janome does require more top tension unless I'm using the blue dot bobbin case.

Originally Posted by dmarie (Post 5942327)
That happens to me when I forget to lower the pressure foot. Easy to take out. Good luck.

quiltingnd 03-20-2013 06:00 PM

I rewound my bobbin and put in a new needle and reset my tension. I tried it again on a left over practice piece. This time it looked much better. It would knot in areas where I would halt without stopping the machine and every now and then I would see a small loop of thread that looked like it didn't catch. But it didn't look nearly like it did early. So maybe I will try again tomorrow.

sylvia77 03-20-2013 06:09 PM

I've had this happen to me and it was the bobbin thread wasn't engaged with the tension spring. Hope this helps.

quiltingnd 03-20-2013 06:30 PM

I wouldn't know how to fix that.