Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   GFG - The Final Border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/gfg-final-border-t120302.html)

Tink74 05-02-2011 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am now in the process of adding the final border. It looks strange, but it is the only way that I can see to make sure I have enough fabric on the edges to finish it however that is decided.

Final Border Hexis
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191971[/ATTACH]

Looks A Little Funny
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191972[/ATTACH]

neeng 05-02-2011 09:43 AM

I really like your quilt, Tink.

It will be quite a while, since I've just started doing my hexis as a train project (while riding), but I've been watching your progress as I too was wondering how I was going to finish this off when it gets to that point (LOL probably years from now).

0tis 05-02-2011 02:16 PM

That looks like alot of work - but very worth it in the end - its going to be a beauty.

KarenK 05-02-2011 02:18 PM

You're work is supurb! I have enjoyed following the progress on your quilt.

Quiltforme 05-02-2011 11:45 PM

I have been following your quilt thank you for posting the steps you have done an amazing job!

Jammin' Jane 05-02-2011 11:49 PM

It's really pretty! Love your colors!

Tink74 05-03-2011 07:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A newish approach today...wasn't diggin' the way things were going yesterday. I still left a long piece of fabric on outside edges...

New Border Style
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192319[/ATTACH]

Close Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192320[/ATTACH]

luvspaper 05-03-2011 06:29 PM

I am working on my GFG too....I have most of the flowers ready and am now working on sewing on the sashing hexies....

My thought on the ones along the top and botttom : For the "inner" was to create a paper hexie with three normal sides, two longer sides and then another bottom straight side... and then rectangles to get the same length for the "outer" ones in the same length...so that I end up with a straight border. (kind of like your picture but with less extra on the sides...and using some type of shaped paper stabilizer....)

For the sides, I was thinking about the same process as the inner, but two hexie sides and then the rest would end up as a rectangle.... (very much like you did in the first picture on the bottom right)

But I have not mathematically worked it on paper yet. Nor have I thought about the corners.....

But I do like what you are doing with leaving the extra!

Tink74 05-04-2011 03:27 AM

It definately would be easier to square it, but I love the wonky shape if left natural-like :-)

luvspaper 05-04-2011 05:38 AM

I've done a scalloped border with bias binding and it wasn't too bad, but what concerns me on this one would be the number of times you have to stop and turn...and then getting the bias pulled well. I am sure it is doable, but it scares me!

I didn't say it in my other message, but your quilt is gorgeous and gives me hope that some day I will finish mine!
ruth