Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grids & Grommets Bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grids-grommets-bag-t82567.html)

montanajan 12-13-2010 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Have made several of these. First was made using Bali Pops Strips - love their color combination choices. The second bag is a WIP from my stash, a "someday" gift for a friend, put it up just to show anyone how it goes together.
I don't exactly follow the pattern - found a few easier tricks that work for me.

These are shower curtains grommets, available in 2 sizes & various colors. This is my shopping bag; havealso used it as a carry-on bag & take-along bag for projects.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142856[/ATTACH]

tucsonquilter 12-13-2010 11:34 AM

ok what is your trick? I made one and it turned out a disaster. Love the look of the bag though.

tutty 12-13-2010 12:17 PM

Nice .

grendelskin 12-13-2010 12:24 PM

So pretty!

BarbaraA 12-13-2010 12:34 PM

Very nice!

QazyQltr 12-13-2010 12:47 PM

Nice bag. In picture #2 it looks like you sewed strips 'as you go' to the inside fabric??

montanajan 12-13-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
ok what is your trick? I made one and it turned out a disaster. Love the look of the bag though.

Here are a few things I did that the directions did not mention:
1) Layers - press Thermalam to wrong side of lining
-* Press a layer of lightweight fusible interfacing
to non-fusible side of Thermalam for extra body
- sew 2 strips right-sides together 1/4 " seam down 1 length after centering 1st strip. Press to set seam, flip open, press & add next strip
2) Strips- Begin with center strip & work out to each side - helps keep strips straight & even - on my 1st bag I began on a side edge & worked across - the strips ended up 'wavy' & crooked!
3) Remove thin strip of Thermalam from each side edge after last strip has been sewn on so bag side seams aren't so bulky OR have strips & lining extend about 1/2 inch over each side edge of thermalam
4) Make inside pockets wide enough so when you position them to sew you can SID pocket sides from outside of bag between 2 sewn strips & not have pocket stitching as visible from outside of bag, except across pocket bottom (another error on my 1st bag -every stitch of my pocket seams show)
5) Place 1 small pocket inside near top for cell phone or car keys.
6) Add Thermalam or any batting inside pocket for stability Quilt across/diagonal/ the pocket before sewing to bag if batting is not fused to the pocket itself.
7) Use lighter color fabric for lining of bag so you're not looking into a dark hole searching for bag contents
8) Make straps sturdy by adding layer of thermalam or batting before closing seams
9)Finish top edge of bag by binding like any quilt or by turning top of bag in & hand-stitching
10) I use plastic canvas sheet & cut to fit for inside base - 99 cents a sheet instead of expensive Timtex. Make a sleeve of the lining fabric, (or pieced scraps from outside of bag) for the plastic canvas; slip plastic in & stitch sleeve shut along open end. Can now be washed or removed when bag gets washed.
11) Grommets - sew around the circle (template comes with
grommets) before cutting out the hole
- if grommet won't snap closed into place, may
need to remove a bit more fabric closer to
inside of circle edge
12) Make sure when threading the strap through the grommets that loop of strap comes outside of bag in center of front & back, so it will close shut properly as you lift bag by straps.
I've shown 5 or 6 others how to make these bags - better at demo than trying to write it all out here. I hope this helps a bit. Please let me know if you had specific problems & I'll try to address them for you.
Jan

montanajan 12-13-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by QazyQltr
Nice bag. In picture #2 it looks like you sewed strips 'as you go' to the inside fabric??

Yes, the strips are sewn to layers - it is laid out like this:
1) lining, right side down
2) thermalam pressed to wrong side of lining
3) lightweight fusible interfacing pressed to NONfusible side of thermalam (stability & easier to sew strips on)
4) strips, starting in center & working out to each side.

I like quilt-as-you-go projects!

tucsonquilter 12-13-2010 01:16 PM

Thanks so much. I think I will be brave and try it again.

montanajan 12-13-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter

Did you have any issues with side seams or making the bottom of the bag - how to stitch across from inside to create base size you wanted? My 1st has different dimensions on each side of the base - I was not careful!