Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I must be doing something right... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-must-doing-something-right-t42582.html)

bettyjo 04-13-2010 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I work weekends at the front desk at a Rehab hospital for people who have strokes, amputees, etc.. not drugs and such.. Because I am there to greet visitors, tell them where they need to go and to answer the phone, I have free time and I hand quilt or embroidery. Most of the patients are elderly and the guys tell me they remember their mom quilting and many of the women have quilted and embroideried too. Last Sunday was my day!! One visitor that I had helped the patient get in and settled, brought me the last (probably 15 yards) of a nice white cotton fabric they had used for table cloths at a wedding. A patient brought me two pillow cases she had embroideried. (beautiful flowers!!) and the last was a visitor that I comment on his tie.. it was woven with small squares on point of purple, blue, black and gray in rows... with a solid line diagonal every 6th row. He saw the quilt I was working on and told me how much he admired women who did such.. He remembered how hard his grandmother worked and quilted..... He told me when he got tired of the tie, he would give it to me.. As he started out.. he turned... removed his tie & gave it to me!!! now to take it to the fabric store and match colors!!!

colors much prettier on tie than in photo

KGoodhand 04-13-2010 06:33 AM

You lucky girl! See karma is a good thing! Keep up the great work!

SharonC 04-13-2010 06:34 AM

See you're absolutely brightening peoples day when you greet them. Making a big difference for them.
Enjoy your treats :)

Quilter7x 04-13-2010 06:35 AM

WOW, I'll say it was your day!

Be sure to show us the colors you choose for this quilt, it will be beautiful. :D

Shelia 04-13-2010 06:50 AM

Aaaaa...there are some really kind people in this world. :-)

watterstide 04-13-2010 06:53 AM

Sweet! So wonderful to be one both ends,giving and receiving..!

sharon b 04-13-2010 06:56 AM

Because you are so nice to them, this is their way of saying THANK YOU ! Good for you . Can't wait to see what you come up with for the tie :lol:

dkabasketlady 04-13-2010 08:56 AM

What a caring and beautiful person you are! I can't wait to see the interpretation of a quilt on the tie!!

Tiffany 04-13-2010 09:04 AM

You are my hero. It's great that you are able to be a bright spot in someone's day & I really admire the work you do for others!! Sometimes the world can seem very callous and people can recognize true compassion and caring when they see it. This is their way of saying thank you. And I bet if asked they will tell you that they came out ahead. God bless you!

wildyard 04-13-2010 12:11 PM

I totally agree with Tiffany. What goes around comes around, and you clearly have given the gift of yourself.