Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm stuck on this one-help me! Please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-stuck-one-help-me-please-t5736.html)

2 Doods 03-29-2008 04:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Can you hear the whine in that?
I am making this baby quilt - my version of an I Spy. Since I'm not sure what an I Spy really is...this just kind of came together. Grandpa is known as a bow tie guy so that worked well. I plan on adding a small black border to edge the bias pieces and kind of frame it.

Now I am stuck on what to do about the back. The front is so busy.
I have a piece of black that has chalkboard abc's on it (parents are teachers) It is not quite large enough but I could put borders on it. Was not sure about black and white so I bought some flannel that has abc in multicolors with a white background. Then today I came home with a red on red flannel. Kind of a marble. And I am NOT telling DH how much I have spent on fabric for this!!! The baby is here and I'm stuck! Any ideas?

tlrnhi 03-29-2008 05:21 PM

OH MY! I'm still mesmerized by the front!
But, I"m leaning towards the red for the back

barnbum 03-29-2008 05:55 PM

Oh, I'm a teacher and I vote for the ABCs!! It's not like the baby will be looking at the front and back at the same time. :D

That is a wonderful quilt!! Lucky baby!! :wink:

bebe 03-29-2008 06:24 PM

Hi ,
Use the alphabet fabric and add some of the red to make it bigger. Great looking quilt for a baby!!!
Bebe

skacian 03-29-2008 06:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
Can you hear the whine in that?
I am making this baby quilt - my version of an I Spy. Since I'm not sure what an I Spy really is...this just kind of came together. Grandpa is known as a bow tie guy so that worked well. I plan on adding a small black border to edge the bias pieces and kind of frame it.

Now I am stuck on what to do about the back. The front is so busy.
I have a piece of black that has chalkboard abc's on it (parents are teachers) It is not quite large enough but I could put borders on it. Was not sure about black and white so I bought some flannel that has abc in multicolors with a white background. Then today I came home with a red on red flannel. Kind of a marble. And I am NOT telling DH how much I have spent on fabric for this!!! The baby is here and I'm stuck! Any ideas?

Here is an I Spy quilt that I made for a granddaughter.

2 Doods 03-29-2008 07:01 PM

Skacian-that is what I have seen. I didn't think I could do hexagons so I made fake ones. I just used random picture fabric. I didn't tie it into a theme (other than boy) or try to do one for each letter of the alphabet. Is that what is usually done?

annmarie 03-29-2008 07:04 PM

2 Doods - that is an awesome quilt. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Lots of work went into that one. Looks like the ABC's get my vote too.

2 Doods 03-29-2008 07:04 PM

bebe-what is a good size? As it is now it is 36x45. I still need to add the border. I am leaning toward the flannel for the back. Just for cuddle factor.

skacian 03-29-2008 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
Skacian-that is what I have seen. I didn't think I could do hexagons so I made fake ones. I just used random picture fabric. I didn't tie it into a theme (other than boy) or try to do one for each letter of the alphabet. Is that what is usually done?

You did just fine with your random selection of picture fabric. That is exactly the same thing I did with mine. I think the other ladies on this site can be more helpful with your choice of backing fabric. All of the quilts I have done I have used muslin backing, and hand-quilted. I am thinking of trying some other types of backing, so I will be interested in the opinions of others.

sondray 03-29-2008 08:12 PM

Love your quilt, I vote for the abc's too.