Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Log Cabin with a solid color (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/log-cabin-solid-color-t18503.html)

pittsburgpam 04-03-2009 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently made a log cabin out of jelly rolls and it was so quick and easy that I want to make one for ME (probably going to give the first one to a man-friend). I would actually like a light colored one for spring for my bedroom and I was thinking of the Nature's Chorus fabrics. I emailed Fat Quarter Shop and asked them which of their Bella Solids whites goes best with the background and they replied that the Sugar matches it.

What do you think about a log cabin with the "dark" side being the pattern and the light side being the matching solid off-white?

omak 04-03-2009 06:51 AM

Now that we know why sugar is a jolt to hyperactive children! LOL
I think the blocks look fine. I didn't quite understand what your question was, but, it looked to me like you made the outside rounds be the solid color and then alternated the beginning squares ..
Are you going to set the blocks in exactly the manner that you showed us on the page? Or are you going to move the darks to create lighning, or barndoor, furrow? Know what I mean?

Prism99 04-03-2009 07:01 AM

I think it would look fabulous!

Marcia 04-03-2009 07:07 AM

Pam--I think it would be really pretty that way and the Sugar side would leave a great "solid" space for some really pretty quilting.

pittsburgpam 04-03-2009 07:19 AM

Oamk,

That's a picture of the fabric collection, not the log cabin blocks. Looks like it, doesn't it?

All of those would be on the DARK side and the light side would be solid white.

omak 04-03-2009 07:25 AM

I may be talking through my hat here, but white always pops forward. The more white, the more pop forward. strategically placed, the white would set up the colors, but if the white is a solid mass, the colors might just look jumbled ... the point about the white being an excellent place for quilting (or interesting appliqued flowers or objects) is very true ..
Maybe I should just say white isn't my favorite light accent, but it always looks clean and crisp.
I know that your excellent work will be beautiful, and we will all wish we had thought to do it just the way you finally decided to complete. :P

pittsburgpam 04-03-2009 08:12 AM

I'll try it out in a picture first (I usually do). I do want a crisp and clean look for spring and if I set the blocks in a star pattern it should stand out nicely.

Debbie1 04-03-2009 08:23 AM

Love the collection. Any way you do the log cabin will turn out beautiful. I like the spring colors. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

pocoellie 04-03-2009 08:42 AM

I think it'll look great!!

Harmony 04-03-2009 08:58 AM

I think it will be awesome! The fabrics are lovely, and the white will keep it nice and light. There's no such thing as an ugly log cabin quilt (although I've come close!)