Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My experiment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-experiment-t44170.html)

quiltluvr 04-28-2010 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little something I've been doodling with. I just work on it a little here and there. I have all the rows sewn, now have to join them all. It'll be 16 rows when done.

Right now it's about 30 1/2" W x 25 1/2" L.

Need some ideas too. What I first planned out isn't gonna work so I'm a little stuck. I decided to put a white tone on tone 2 or 3 inch (finished) border then another, followed by a 4 inch (finished) navy with white pin dots. I already picked out the those two. It's the middle that I'm not sure what I want to go with. I was thinking maybe a scrappy pieced, varied lengths, in colors that read more solid (?), maybe 2 inches wide finished?

Believe me, I messed this up so bad and so much but I'm keeping every imperfection this time, as a learning guide. Sure has taught me a lot. Reading how and doing it are two different things to me, but I'm really glad I tried this. There was no pattern, just me and some paper doing some math.

Oh, the back, I decided to piece also with three fabrics (whatever I pick from what I have here at home.) Looking at my figures and sketches, may have to alter it here or there.

It'll be in the neighborhood of 46" W X 57" L, when completed, if I'm looking at the right measurement.

Thanks for looking. (Attempting to post my first picture too.)

Lacelady 04-28-2010 01:50 AM

I think it's lovely - there is a block fairly central, in a medium blue with yellow. What about using that shade of blue between your white and navy?

marsye 04-28-2010 01:52 AM

oohhhh! I love scrappy quilts! :thumbup:

Quilt4u 04-28-2010 01:57 AM

I love it.

SewExtremeSeams 04-28-2010 04:35 AM

Your quilt looks so cozy and inviting. It gives me a great idea for my grandson (wiith a mascusline touch of fabric choices).

clem55 04-28-2010 04:51 AM

Thsat's how I do mine, just figuring out the size etc. I'm too cheap to buy the patterns!!LOL

cjomomma 04-28-2010 04:53 AM

It is beautiful. If it was me I would just leave the border off and just bind it. I was looking for a color that needed help being noticed that a border would help come out but I didn't see any. All the colors seem to work very well together. Great job.

amma 04-28-2010 10:17 AM

I love it!!! Also your idea for the center border :D:D:D

quiltluvr 04-28-2010 10:24 AM

Aaaawwww, thanks everyone. It's nerve wrecking for me to put this up seeing all the fabulous work you ladies and gentlemen can create.

I wanted (need) it to be bigger, that's why I'm adding all the borders. Yes, I "could" add more HST, but after all these, I'm ready to be done with those.

As for colors, the blue you suggested, is really a cornflower blue. I have something similar in my stash, but it just didn't look right next to the navy. I pulled out a bunch to audition and in the end only felt comfortable with a burgundy color, but still not sure if I'm sold or if I want to go with one color compared to a more 'scappier' vibe. Don't know either if I have enough.

The thought of having to buy MORE fabric just pains me in every way-----NOT!!!!! :lol: (But I really would like to use something I have if at all possible.)

Zephyr 04-28-2010 06:28 PM

What about a border of one of your white or really light ones (if you have enough left)and then do 3" piano key border with a mix of most of your block colors?