Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first "one block wonder", not sure I'm thrilled with it (WIP) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-one-block-wonder-not-sure-im-thrilled-wip-t201259.html)

kathdavis 09-22-2012 08:04 PM

I think it is wonderful. Very unique and beautiful colors. It's snowflakes falling on the autumn leaves at night.

SandyinZ4 09-22-2012 08:08 PM

I admire anyone who starts this block and yours will be fun to watch grow. Since I have never done one, I will just stand back and admire you both!

knlsmith 09-22-2012 08:13 PM

I like it. Almost has a Yin Yang design to it.

QuiltnNan 09-23-2012 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5534128)
I think it is wonderful. Very unique and beautiful colors. It's snowflakes falling on the autumn leaves at night.

i rather saw the snow flakes in the beginning, but the fall leaves makes it come together :thumbup:

WTxRed 09-23-2012 04:25 AM

Love Love this. Aren't OBW's wonderful?
I would play with the blocks more. I do like the surf/sand idea and can certainly see if coming that way. As you move blocks on your wall - take some pictures with your cell phone or camera, Photo's tend to see values, etc. You'll be able to see some blocks that can be moved to pull the effect in. I usually stand back and look at my phone pic then the wall.
You may also want to try making a big swirl and radiating out from that.
Just a thought - if this is a panel, they should have coordinating fabrics. You 'could' make a few more blocks from it and then use it, or other coordinating fabrics, for your borders.
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Tartan 09-23-2012 04:55 AM

Your blocks are beautiful! Just keep playing with the layout until you hit an arrangement you love. Take some snapshots as you go to keep track of the designs.

PaperPrincess 09-23-2012 05:02 AM

As you rearrange your blocks, be sure and take a photo of each arrangement so you can return to that one if you want. what i would try is to have the black in the middle, with the lightest blues in one corner, and lightest gold in the opposite one.

Gilly 09-23-2012 05:07 AM

I love it! Love the colors!

kateyb 09-23-2012 05:15 AM

If you need to make it bigger consider putting them into blocks maybe with some sashing. Then each individual would show better.

Sewnoma 09-23-2012 08:26 AM

Oh I just want to SCREAM!!

I played with this more last night and had it arranged into a square shape that I thought looked better. Went to bed to sleep on it. This morning I get up to go see what I think of it with fresh eyes....the WHOLE THING had come down off the wall. AAAAAHHH!!!!! :mad: I've never had that happen before, and judging from how my cats are hiding from me I think someone tried to climb it. Oh I am so frustrated right now! I've laid it back out (on the guest bed this time, behind a closed door) but I seem to be missing blocks now somehow. I must have a couple hidden behind others or something. I just need to walk away for awhile, before I start wringing furry little necks!

Later I will laugh about it. Right now....NOT FUNNY!!! Argh!!

I'm just trying to convince myself this is "meant to be" and now it'll turn out better. Right? RIGHT?? :shock: