Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My "first" top cut and pieced all by myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-top-cut-pieced-all-myself-t242485.html)

tron80 03-04-2014 02:40 AM

My "first" top cut and pieced all by myself!

5 Attachment(s)
Until now basically all my quilts were done with precuts and fabrics collections. They are beautiful and love them.
But there are an AFTER!... After I’d known about this awesome board.
With you I larned a lot, and the result is this simple quilt “The casual fit” quilt for my DH. Without this forum I couldn't have done it. Thank you by heart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465612[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465613[/ATTACH]

It is 59” x 68” size and my husband loves it. Now is sandwiched and ready for handquilt. This top is the sum of several fantastic lessons:

1.- I’ve got scraps. Yes and It was fun cuting and chopping in the correct sizes, basicaly 5” charms whith the Shape cut ruler of June Taylor and not afraid of doing it bad because they are scraps (Now I’m a pro!)
2.- What to do with used shirts? Well, cut them of course! A lot of fun, more fabric for my quilt!!! Thank you Seven Shirts + Seven Steps tutorial.
3.- With a lot of 5” recycled charms and the tutorial of easy HST I began my controlled scrap, bought a neutral tan for blend and a a blue backquilt (it’s a guy quilt!)
4.- And… I pieded it with my “new” singer FW. Thank you vintage machine fans. I learned about this one in this board. And now I’ve got three.
5.- And the best part is that I am cutting my second one in red & white with a tutorial of Jenny Doan MSQC: The Jacob's Ladder Remix Quilt. And learning to do easy four patch blocks. I loooove easy tutorials! :)

The prewash of fabrics and yours tips antibledders are very useful I hope I've do it correctly...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465614[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465615[/ATTACH]

Happy Quilting!

Well I almost forgot my design wall, also an idea from this board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465620[/ATTACH]

ckcowl 03-04-2014 02:47 AM

that turned out great! congratulations- and we hope to see many more. :)

SlightlyOffQuilter 03-04-2014 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That looks fantastic ! Great job !! And remember, there are no rules about having to keep all the fabrics from a pre-cut bundle together ! This is one I just finished that I used up some of my " left over " Charms and FQ's that I had from other projects !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465621[/ATTACH]

JenniePenny 03-04-2014 04:20 AM

Your quilt looks wonderful! Great job.

helou 03-04-2014 04:26 AM

Really beautiful. Thank you for describing what you learned since you are a member of this board and the steps that led you to these beautiful quilts. It is amazing how much we learn from every member here!
I love looking at your accomplishments here, you make real beautiful quilts

QuiltMom2 03-04-2014 04:27 AM

That is one of the nicest man quilts I've seen. No wonder your husband likes it!

brod71 03-04-2014 04:36 AM

I love your half square triangle quilt and especially love how you recycled old shirts. Great Job!

PaperPrincess 03-04-2014 04:48 AM

Love your quilt! I especially like how you chose the name for it!

Stitchnripper 03-04-2014 04:57 AM

Great looking quilt and quilt in progress. I love those kinds of quilts.

Cinjossar 03-04-2014 04:59 AM

That is a perfect quilt for a guy. It can sometimes be difficult to make something that is masculine looking. And I know what you mean about learning so much from this board. I think that I learned almost everything that I know so far from all the kind people here.