Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My flannel rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-flannel-rag-quilt-t36418.html)

Eddie 02-09-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
A tut please. I know the way you 'teach' i will better understand how to make one of these beautiful quilts such as yours. I will be using Homespun fabrics I am collecting.
Your colors amaze me. You have a good eye.

I've been collecting homespuns for a rag quilt, too. I think I have enough to do one now, so will do a tute when I make it. These really are very easy to make and come together quickly. And I really like the texture of the fringe on them. :)

cutebuns 02-09-2010 08:32 AM

well Eddie, do you want to come here and teach me how to quilt like you do? pretty please!

Chilly Mac 02-09-2010 08:34 AM

Very pretty! :thumbup:

Rachel 02-09-2010 08:38 AM

wow, Eddie, nice! Very nice!! tute please... How many layers of fabric did you use? just the top and warm and natural and a back, or are there multiple layers, seems very fringy. I think it a lot. My DH would love one. He's really cold blooded, so I bet if I put minky on the back, he'd be in heaven. tee hee

rootyr 02-09-2010 09:37 AM

I have got to make one of those! Beautiful!

ToucanSam 02-09-2010 09:56 AM

LOVE your work!

Okay, is it one piece of flannel, batting, one piece of flannel as backing? Or did you layer more?
Also, what is this about special rag quilting scissors? Need to know! :)

tigger5464 02-09-2010 10:05 AM

Gorgeous as always Eddie!!! I can't believe how fast you turn out your quilts...do you sleep? LOL JK
My sister in law bought the scissors to do the rag quilts also..so if I make one I can just borrow hers instead of buying my own. Thought that was a great offer :D Thank you for sharing :D

Thanks for the compliments on my things also :D I tried to make them look good but didn't know for sure :oops:

Eddie 02-09-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
wow, Eddie, nice! Very nice!! tute please... How many layers of fabric did you use? just the top and warm and natural and a back, or are there multiple layers, seems very fringy. I think it a lot. My DH would love one. He's really cold blooded, so I bet if I put minky on the back, he'd be in heaven. tee hee

Mine has just 3 layers - a top flannel layer, a batting square, and then a bottom flannel layer. The batting square is cut at 5" and the flannel layers are cut at 7". The fringe between each square though is 4 layers, since it includes the back layers as well.

MaryStoaks 02-09-2010 10:13 AM

Beautiful as always. I think I need to make one too!

Eddie 02-09-2010 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
LOVE your work!

Okay, is it one piece of flannel, batting, one piece of flannel as backing? Or did you layer more?
Also, what is this about special rag quilting scissors? Need to know! :)

Right, just 3 layers total - 1 layer of flannel on top and bottom, and then the batting between.

Here's a pic of the rag quilt scissors I bought. I got them at my LQS for $20 and they were worth every penny. They cut through all those layers like butter. :D