Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need help/opinion on design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-opinion-design-t146403.html)

rebeccalr 08-19-2011 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have decided to possibly make a quilt for a silent auction for my children's school. I want it to be school specific. I don't have a quilting design program, so I have just made something up in photoshop. The design is not perfect. We are the Watertown tigers and the colors will be as shown, white, purple, and black. I will be piecing all of it, no applique. Probably bind with black. What do you think of the design? Please, be honest, I have tough skin.

P.S. I have seen the horror stories of donating quilts, so it will be small ~54" X 72" and made out of less expensive fabric.

Looking at it on the board, I think the paws may need to be bigger!?!?!

Treasureit 08-19-2011 07:19 PM

Great! Seem like a little too much white - what if you switch the purple and white colors?

wildyard 08-19-2011 07:25 PM

I agree it's a lot of white. It might be hard to keep clean. Perhaps you could just change the center panel? Say, keep the purple paws on white, but add a black strip between them and the W, then switch the white and purple for the W area?
And maybe on the outer windmills, make the solid square purple and the windmills black and white?
Just some thoughts to add more color and take away some of the white areas.
Hugggggs and good luck!!

mom-6 08-19-2011 07:30 PM

Very nice!
I agree it might look better if the paws were the same size as the pinwheels and if you also redid the spacing so there is a pinwheel in each corner.
Maybe have the plain blocks in the border purple?

Linda B 08-19-2011 07:34 PM

My first reaction is too much white. But that needs to be tempered by the fact that I never use white myself. That being said, I'm not sure what I would change, but I think I would try to incorporate more purple and black. Maybe have the pinwheel border all pinwheels (no solid white squares)and perhaps make the W a wee bit smaller and put it inside a black bordered box with more paw blocks surrounding it on all 4 sides. Just some ideas. Please post again with the final product.

debcavan 08-19-2011 07:46 PM

There is air space above and below the W, with them that size.

rebeccalr 08-19-2011 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, fabulous ideas that are right on, but you know how sometimes you see something a certain way and then you can't get that idea out of you head. I did a quick redo and like it much better...

scowlkat 08-19-2011 07:58 PM

I like it so much better! Guess it's true that "two" heads are better than one! Hope it makes some good money for your school.

wildyard 08-19-2011 08:00 PM

You are definitely on the right track now!! It looks much better. What a great thing you have that you can show those changes so fast!! Neat toy too I'll bet>:D

cindy4857 08-19-2011 08:20 PM

Wow what a difference! I really like the purple one. I have to agree with the first design having a lot of white. Good luck! I'm sure that someone will absolutely love it.