Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   New Member and New Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/new-member-new-quilter-t37856.html)

heather_campbell 02-24-2010 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi quilters,
I just found this board a couple of days ago. I am a long time sewer, but a relatively new quilter. I'm on another board for sewing but there aren't many quilters there so I thought I would join up and learn from your knowledge. My mom started quilting about 3 or 4 years ago, I guess I sort-of got bitten by the bug! I still mostly sew clothes for myself and my 4 year old, but I do find some time for quilting.

I just finished the top of my 3rd quilt - it is a zipper quilt from the Modern Quilt Workshop book. I swear there were well over 2000 pieces for this - the most work was in the cutting of the 1" x 2" zipper "teeth".

I also did a quilt for my 3 year old nephew about a year ago - great beginner pattern called Fatty Fatty 2x4 - which I did up for him in a kid-friendly nautical pattern because they are a sailing family.

I've attached photos of both. I quilted the blue one in straight lines on my Pfaff but with the zipper quilt, I think I will take it to my mom's house as she has a rack that I can load it onto and a long-arm quilting machine. I am hoping to meander the top of it.

thoughts?

This is the Zipper quilt top - not finished yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19579[/ATTACH]

The finished Fatty Fatty 2x4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19616[/ATTACH]

mrspete 02-24-2010 04:34 PM

Good to meet you, I'm Ruth from NC. Love your work. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

mosquitosewgirl 02-24-2010 04:39 PM

Welcome! I'm Heidi from Northern California. Both quilts are really great! You'll find everyone here is really nice and helpful!

quazyquilter 02-24-2010 04:44 PM

Hi! Welcome! I'm Conni (no "e") from Vermont

heather_campbell 02-24-2010 04:45 PM

Sorry, forgot the basic info! I'm Heather, from Vancouver BC. I've noticed that everyone here is really friendly, I've been lurking for a couple of days. The friendliness factor is actually what made me sign up!

Yarn or Fabric 02-24-2010 04:46 PM

Oooh! I love love love that zipper quilt! The other one is adorable too.
I think you have really gotten bitten - and looks like it was a good bite for you - you've got a knack!

Welcome!!

Jamie 02-24-2010 04:54 PM

Hi Heather and welcome to the board, you couldn't possibly have joined a more wonderful group of people :)
I'm Jamie In PA

skpkatydid 02-24-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by heather_campbell
Sorry, forgot the basic info! I'm Heather, from Vancouver BC. I've noticed that everyone here is really friendly, I've been lurking for a couple of days. The friendliness factor is actually what made me sign up!

Hi and Welcome form Denver, CO.

How is it having the Olympics in Vancouver?

sewnsewer2 02-24-2010 05:02 PM

Welcome! Good job!

heather_campbell 02-24-2010 05:02 PM

Olympics - well, it's crazy. Vancouver is a relatively small city, only about 600,000 ppl, so when you add in a couple hundred thousand extra or whatever the attendance is, you really notice it. It's wall to wall people downtown, but everyone so far is being well behaved. Although the police did close down all the downtown liquor stores at 7pm this past weekend because it was getting a bit rowdy at night.