Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member and New Quilter

Hi quilters,
    I just found this board a couple of days ago. I am a long time sewer, but a relatively new quilter. I'm on another board for sewing but there aren't many quilters there so I thought I would join up and learn from your knowledge. My mom started quilting about 3 or 4 years ago, I guess I sort-of got bitten by the bug! I still mostly sew clothes for myself and my 4 year old, but I do find some time for quilting.

I just finished the top of my 3rd quilt - it is a zipper quilt from the Modern Quilt Workshop book. I swear there were well over 2000 pieces for this - the most work was in the cutting of the 1" x 2" zipper "teeth".

I also did a quilt for my 3 year old nephew about a year ago - great beginner pattern called Fatty Fatty 2x4 - which I did up for him in a kid-friendly nautical pattern because they are a sailing family.

I've attached photos of both. I quilted the blue one in straight lines on my Pfaff but with the zipper quilt, I think I will take it to my mom's house as she has a rack that I can load it onto and a long-arm quilting machine. I am hoping to meander the top of it.

thoughts?

This is the Zipper quilt top - not finished yet.
    Name:  Attachment-19579.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  52.1 KB

The finished Fatty Fatty 2x4
    Name:  Attachment-19616.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  83.3 KB

Good to meet you, I'm Ruth from NC. Love your work. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Welcome! I'm Heidi from Northern California. Both quilts are really great! You'll find everyone here is really nice and helpful!

Blog Entries
    Hi! Welcome! I'm Conni (no "e") from Vermont

Sorry, forgot the basic info! I'm Heather, from Vancouver BC. I've noticed that everyone here is really friendly, I've been lurking for a couple of days. The friendliness factor is actually what made me sign up!

Oooh! I love love love that zipper quilt! The other one is adorable too.
    I think you have really gotten bitten - and looks like it was a good bite for you - you've got a knack!

Welcome!!

Hi Heather and welcome to the board, you couldn't possibly have joined a more wonderful group of people :)
    I'm Jamie In PA

Quote Originally Posted by heather_campbell
    Sorry, forgot the basic info! I'm Heather, from Vancouver BC. I've noticed that everyone here is really friendly, I've been lurking for a couple of days. The friendliness factor is actually what made me sign up!
    Hi and Welcome form Denver, CO.

How is it having the Olympics in Vancouver?

Welcome! Good job!

Olympics - well, it's crazy. Vancouver is a relatively small city, only about 600,000 ppl, so when you add in a couple hundred thousand extra or whatever the attendance is, you really notice it. It's wall to wall people downtown, but everyone so far is being well behaved. Although the police did close down all the downtown liquor stores at 7pm this past weekend because it was getting a bit rowdy at night.

Banned
    Awesome quilt, both of them. That zipper one is amazing!!! How hard was it???

OH, and welcome!!! Vancouver is on my list of places to visit :)

Hi, your quilts are fabulous, can't believe you are a "beginning" quilter! And yes, aren't these people fabulous, I have/am learning so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Awesome quilt, both of them. That zipper one is amazing!!! How hard was it???

OH, and welcome!!! Vancouver is on my list of places to visit :)
    The zipper one got about half-way done last year and then I sort of lost momentum on it. Got caught up in clothing sewing, which I gotta say, is a lot faster than quilting. The immediate gratification factor of sewing a dress or top is pretty high.

But then it started to get warm in Vancouver (we have bulbs sprouting and cherry blossoms blooming already) and I realized I better finish it up. We only have a winter down comforter for our bed and we really need a summer quilt!

My mom, who is a much more experienced quilter than I am thought I was crazy for taking on that zipper one, but I have been sewing since I was 10 so I figured I could handle it - all straight lines, after all. So I would say it was time consuming but not difficult.

Gotta sign off for now - my kid friendly dinner of pizza noodle casserole is ready! (oh, the things you eat as a mom.) I'll check back later....

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of friends and help here. I love the zipper quilt. I've never seen that pattern before.

Nice to see another BC member! LOVE your zipper quilt!

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest.
    Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

Beautiful work on both those quilts.

Went on a search for other zipper quilts & see this one

http://home.insightbb.com/~mightb.me/zipper.htm

now that's alot of itsy bitsy quilting!

yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking for the quilting, except no way would I be doing it by hand!

Wow what a beautiful job you did on them. I am glad to meet you too Hope to see more of your work. I love the zipper one.

Hi Heather..I am nearly new to this forum also. Welcome! Your quilts are great, I especially like the zipper quilt. I am from Ontario just outside of Windsor, eh.

Welcome, Heather. Laurie from Oregon, here...but wish I were there. LOVE the Olympics! Your quilts are great. The zipper quilt is very eye-catching. I was wondering if you couldn't have stip pieced the "zipper" portion? Would seem much faster than all those small pieces.

I just joined this board in Jan. and it is AMAZING the wealth of information I have garnered from it. I love it. I also joined the Quilting Bee Swap, and that is really fun..already have swapped 6 blocks. Enjoy.

Looks fabulous Heather, Great Job!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Welcome, Heather. Laurie from Oregon, here...but wish I were there. LOVE the Olympics! Your quilts are great. The zipper quilt is very eye-catching. I was wondering if you couldn't have stip pieced the "zipper" portion? Would seem much faster than all those small pieces.
    Hi Laurie,
    Yeah, that would have been easier but unfortunately impossible. If you look at the quilt, the zipper pieces consist of 4 pieces of one of the fabrics adjacent to it and 3 pieces of the other fabric adjacent to it. As I really never had the same 2 fabrics in the same order, it was impossible to strip piece and then cut.

I had each row laid out on a design wall with just the large rectangles only, and then I made little piles for each row in order. So, for example, I would put 3 blacks and then 4 browns, then the next zipper over would be 3 browns and 4 whites, and then the next zipper in the row would be 4 whites and 3 creams, etc.

To add to the confusion, in order to make them look like zippers, the pattern of the teeth alternate each row - so whereas I would be counting 3 of one fabric, 4 for of the next for one row, then on the next row I would have to count 4 of the first fabric, 3 of the next.

It sounds more confusing than it actually was. Just required careful planning and I numbered each row as I finished them.

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. Your zipper quilt is awesome. Fatty, fatty 2x4 is so cute. I really like that pattern and the name is just so funny. Great job on both.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast