Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Really old dolls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/really-old-dolls-t104609.html)

SaraSewing 03-03-2011 07:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These were in my mother's cedar chest. When she passed away last week (age 88) I got the cedar chest and everything in it. She had these dolls and a couple of little dresses. I don't remember her ever talking about them, and I have no idea of the dates.

The small doll opens it's eyes when it's raised, and closees them when lays down. There is a "cry" mechanism inside, but it's not working well, that makes the cry when it's layed down.

The large doll has a small broken part on the back of the head. Those dresses must be ancient. So anyway, I"m pretty thrilled to get them, and now want to make a dress appropriate to their age. I've never been much for doll clothes, but I'll try.

MamaBear61 03-03-2011 07:37 AM

What a treasure.

Summer Spice 03-03-2011 07:38 AM

OH! Your so lucky to get them, I love dolls and have one like the small one. Sorry you lost your mom, I know how much that hurts.

Grama Lehr 03-03-2011 08:15 AM

I am so sorry about your mother, she left you some beautiful baby dolls.

LeslieFrost 03-03-2011 08:55 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Those look like they should visit Antiques Roadshow!

Mariposa 03-03-2011 08:56 AM

Sorry for your loss! The dolls are a wonderful treasure!

Fox 03-03-2011 04:54 PM

She left you little treasures. Maybe someone else in your family remembers them. Did she show them to you when you were a child?

Rhonda 03-03-2011 05:09 PM

My mom collects antique dolls. They look like Bisque dolls to me. They are probably 40s by the look of the heads and the clothes. Do they have any markings on them anywhere? Sometimes they have marks(a maker's mark - a circle with a letter in it or a crown or something similar) on them especially ones that are made of porcelain. If I get a chance I will ask her to look at your picture and she may be able to tell you more. She has been an antique collector all her adult life and loves the dolls.

The one that opens and closes it's eyes could be made in the 50s. I have one very similar and it's eyes also open and close.

SaraSewing 03-03-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fox
She left you little treasures. Maybe someone else in your family remembers them. Did she show them to you when you were a child?

Yes, I remember seeing them when I was about 10, and of course wasn't allowed to touch them. My older sister can't remember anything about them either.

TFquilter 03-03-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
These were in my mother's cedar chest. When she passed away last week (age 88) I got the cedar chest and everything in it. She had these dolls and a couple of little dresses. I don't remember her ever talking about them, and I have no idea of the dates.

The small doll opens it's eyes when it's raised, and closees them when lays down. There is a "cry" mechanism inside, but it's not working well, that makes the cry when it's layed down.

The large doll has a small broken part on the back of the head. Those dresses must be ancient. So anyway, I"m pretty thrilled to get them, and now want to make a dress appropriate to their age. I've never been much for doll clothes, but I'll try.

How sweet and what a memory to have...you are lucky..